Move \documents and settings

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The laptop that I have at work has the Documents and Settings directory on a different volume. Is that what this is talking about? There has to be an easier way to move this stuff.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Not as I can tell.

The main problem is that to use mount points, the underlying directory needs to be empty. Docs and settings is NEVER empty - at least "All Users" and "Default Users" will always be there.

So, I tried these instructions and found that they kind of work, but some of the stuff, like Media Player settings and the Left side of the XP Start menu, don't copy.

Just tried them on a 2000 machine, and there they work.

Pulled the drive, put it in a different PC... no joy for XP. The mount points seem to be relative to the windows install, not to some physical path to the disk.

In short, I need to experiment more. I think my next step will be to create the link at the "documents and settings" level, then create a new user. Just to see if things work right then.

Mercutio

The programs that come with the recovery console are the only programs that work in the recovery console.

TweakUI can move "My Documents" but not the whole of "Documents and Settings"

Mercutio

Whoops.

Also I did finally get my junction point to work properly at the Documents and Settings level. I can literally format the partition with the OS installed, recover from a ghost image and be back - with all user profile information 100% intact and undisturbed and still appearing to be on the C: drive - in under three minutes.