Move Outlook from one PC to another

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have a laptop that uses MS Outlook 2000 and connects to an exchange server for email. What I would like to do is move the whole operation to a new laptop running office 2003.

I know how to move the data files, but what I am looking for is a way to export the account settings and import that into the new machine for an easy move. I found a wizard for saving the outlook settings for office 2003 but what I really need is some sort of import settings tool.

Found this tool, anyone used it?:
http://www.backsettings.com/outlook-backup.html

Also willing to ditch Outlook 2003 and just transplant Outlook 2000 from the other machine.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Go for 2003. It has a couple of key improvements for handling spam, primarily not loading graphics by default, and improving responsiveness by optionally caching your Exchange box on your PC. If you occasionally see the Outlook sync messages now, enabling the local cache in 2003 eliminates the popup.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yes, I would love to, but how to get there though?

That tool in the link didn't work for me at all.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
How many email accounts do you have in Outlook 2000? Shouldn't take long to re-enter them in 2003.

All the email folder structures, calendars etc are in the .pst file. Only think that may be bastard to re-enter would be if you have a ton of message rules.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Just the one account, but I can't really figure out how to get it working right.

I have all the .PST folder files saved, so I am not really worried about loosing any information.

Main problem is I am not familiar with Outlook working with an exchange server and because they are different versions copying the settings from one computer to the next wasn't really working for me.

I dinked around with it for a couple hours and I was able to get it working correctly in offline mode to where it would send and receive email. It wouldn't go online for some reason though, it was saying something about being unable to open my mail folder on the server. Also missing my adress book etc.

My next steps are going to be to take an image of the machine as I have it now and then do a Fresh install of XP with the necessary drivers. Then I will give alohabob PC Relocator a try. I have used the program in the past at work and it actually works really well, just never tried it with an exchange Outlook system. They do give the option of trying it before you lay out cash for it so if it doesn't work I won't be screwed. As it's actually moving the whole office / outlook program it will probablly work well.

I may then take an image and try to upgrade to office 2003 as I like that much better, but if it just plain works I will be happy.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
In Tools - Email Accounts, I have a listing for Microsoft Exchange Server, Type Exchange. Clicking Change bring up the Exchange Server settings. Here I've got the Exchange Server name (server name, not FQDN or IP) and my user name in the format "last, first (region)"; IOW exactly how an Exchange address lookup would show me. Clicking More Settings, on the General tab I have auto-detect connection state. On Advanced I have Use Cached Exchange Mode checked (you want this one), under Security I've got my logon method (Kerberos/NTLM), for Connection it uses the LAN, and for Remote Mail, Process marked items is selected. That's it.