MS software RAID

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
What is the word these days on the stability/usability of MS software RAID1 versus something from 3ware? In my case a 6200. It seems like they would have had long enough to work out the snags but you never know.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Remember that Software RAID 1 can only be used on MS Server OS's. I have setup a server that used RAID 1 and the performance was good. Neither of the drives ever failed in the 2 years after it was setup so I don't know how hard recover would be. There were never any problems with the array getting corrupted or stupid things like that though.

I would have to say that it is probably a fine system to use and I would trust it just as much as most hardware RAID adapters.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
For RAID 1, there shouldn't much concern about data recovery unless both drives fail. I have taken RAID 1 arrays created in NT and moved it to another NT box without data loss. Also, I've removed one drive from the mirrored set in NT and moved it to a 2000 box so that I could copy files over, no data loss either. Just make sure you don't make your boot or system partition a part of any RAID array.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
For RAID 1, there shouldn't much concern about data recovery unless both drives fail. I have taken RAID 1 arrays created in NT and moved it to another NT box without data loss. Also, I've removed one drive from the mirrored set in NT and moved it to a 2000 box so that I could copy files over, no data loss either. Just make sure you don't make your boot or system partition a part of any RAID array.

It is even possible to recover a boot volume that is MS SoftRAID1. Check in Microsoft help on how to do this as I can't remember, but I remember reading about it in MS Help awhile back.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Soft RAID1 has always been OK on NT/2000. It's the other ones that lead to interesting combinations of swear words.

The 3ware card offers parallelized reads, which unlike soft-RAID, do provide a modest boost to read performance. If I had the option, I'd probably use the 3ware card for that reason.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Soft RAID1 has always been OK on NT/2000. It's the other ones that lead to interesting combinations of swear words.

The 3ware card offers parallelized reads, which unlike soft-RAID, do provide a modest boost to read performance. If I had the option, I'd probably use the 3ware card for that reason.

Ya, but in the first post Howell asked specifically about MS RAID 1, not about any alternative soft RAID solutions.

I think the major decision will come down to whether the computer in question is going to used hard enough to warrant spending several hundred dollars on a 3ware controller that might only increase performance by a very negligible amount. And only in reads, remember hardware controllers are important for RAID 5 because the parity calculations that are involved are quite processor intensive. OTOH, RAID 1 is not a very hard on a processor so the hit your system would take in performance is not substantial.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The only problem I've run across is making backups of a system with soft-RAID. Most (all ?) backup programs will not read the dynamic disc.

Bozo