MS-Word Footer Help

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I gave up and am posting here as a result. Word 2000. I have a document broken into chapters, and I need a footer on every page. The footer needs to show the chapter name and the current page number. (These chapter headings and page-number-of-first-page-of-chapter will show up in the Table of Contents I'll create as the last step).

After going thru the help screens, I have it where it's working right, except that only the first page of each chapter has the footer. I need each chapter's footer to show up on every page of that chapter. There are chapters with one page only, and chapters with 15+ pages.

As a "user" requirement, it's a very simple requirement. Doofus Word can't seem to do it. The recent versions of WordPerfect are all buggered big time, I don't even want to try it. Besides, the output needs to be two-sided, and my printer can't duplex, so I'm taking the file to Staples and they only support Word (plus a few other DTP type progs I don't have and don't have the time to learn).

Phew. Sorry for the rant and TIA for any tips/advice/pointers to where I may find the answer.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Couldn't you print odd pages first, then run them thru again for evens? Only works well with a laser of course, inkjet would be a big bloody mess.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Aha. I do this all the tim with onesies and twosies. But with 80+ pages? No way!

Laser printers will be a worse mess! Once pages go through a fuser unit (with its heat), they don't like going thru the paper feed mechanisms again. The odds of a misfeed / paper jam are so high it's not worth it. Automatic duplexing should be part of every laser printer, budget or not.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The gallant Merc and his chief troubleshooter have ridden to the rescue of this poor soul. Many thanks to Merc and Ms. A.A. for the quick, simple fix. I am indebted.

HeddaLora

What is this storage?
Unless I misunderstood the question, all you need to do is use Section Breaks. Then you can have new footers in each section, and you set it up so that the footer is the same for each page in the section.

Hedda Lora

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Hedda, thanks for helping, and welcome! You're right, and this is well documented in the help (the way I've learned most everything I know about desktop progs). But I had crossed this stage, as you can tell from the first post in this thread. I couldn't figure out why Word was not repeating the footer. Using options on the footer toolbar screwed up the footer, i.e., made all footers the same, when I wanted different ones in each chapter.

The solution I was given, and which worked perfectly, was to cut and paste the footer from the first page of the chapter to the other pages. But as soon as you paste into the second page, Word realizes what you're trying to do, and generates the footer itself for the rest of the pages in the chapter. So I had to do the cut-n-paste only once for each chapter.

If you're confused, not to worry; I was pretty confused when I asked for help. And since the project is done, I've forgotten the details!

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Interestingly, I needed to do something like this a few days ago. I remembered this thread after I had figured out how to do it(which is exactly as you said). I had no header on the title page and the same header on all the other pages. Once I typed in the header it appeared on all the following pages. This was with Word '97, not Word 2000, which may explain why it didn't work for you.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
As an addendum, If you had wanted a different header/footer for the first page of each chapter you could just check "Different first page" on the page setup layout tab.
After you define that there are multiple sections Word allows you to treat each section with it's own unique formatting. A document within a document if you will.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
It appears I don't communicate well; only Merc and his Word Wiz understood my problem.

Merc himself tried to solve my problem before passing it on to his Wiz, who said I had done everything right, except I was not executing the very last step. In my mind, Word should have automatically done the last step because Word help implied that, and my intuition said so as well.

I think most of you have not read my initisl post completely and correctly, are looking at this issue theoretically; the problem comes in actually getting Word to do it!

Thank you for the sincere help offered, though; , it's greatly appreciated!

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I confimed that the solution I posted worked on my own system under Word 2000 in a real document before I posted.

I did not see the original question until it was already fixed and yet still decided you might appreciate some further edification. I'm glad the problem was resolved.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, Howell. Maybe the sequence in which you perform the operations has a bearing on what happens.

I couldn't understand why the footer was not getting replicated on each page of the chapter. I wasn't about to cut and paste it 88 times (total number of pages in the entire document. Conceptually, what if the document had 800 pages??). The bizarre thing is that when you paste from the first page of the chapter into the second page, the Word will automatically propagate the footer to the rest of the pages in the chapter. Go figure.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
When I added the footer to my document I naturally replicated to all of the pages in the document.

Next I turned on "Different for first page", to simulate a title page. Next I turned on "different for even and odd", just for kicks. The only way I could get the footer to be different beginning with say page four was to add a new page section break.

*shrug*