Music

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Cliptin said:
I purchased a Who box set that I've been listening to for the last few days, "Thirty Years of Maximum R&B". 79 songs on 4 CDs. Quite a few of the songs I've never heard before give me the goose bumps.

The Who is coming to Chicago in August...if I have enough money I will go scalp some tickets and see them. Can't pass up seeing a group as good as The Who...

Oh ya and Rush is coming here in July...can't miss that either.

Koggit

What is this storage?
Listen to this while watching Gir. Perhaps I'm easily amused, but I was mesmerized for a full 5 minutes. Seriously.

girdance.gif

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
..."Bach on electric guitar and Moog synthesizer"...

So you've not heard the William/Wendy Carlos (don't ask) recordings of the Well-tempered Klavier on a Moog, then?

It's pretty remarkable. I mean, an organ is hard enough to play on its own, but have you ever seen a Moog?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Personally, I'm looking forward to the premier of Galileo Galilei - the new Philip Glass opera - in Chicago. Next week, actually. My ticket (geez I'm a loser) is for the 25th, the day after the opening.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
time said:
...She liked it a lot. But then The Angels were always before their time. In hindsight, it's hard to believe a band was producing this sort of music circa 1977.

Surely they were the quintessential Oz band, and therefore barely understood anywhere else?...

I guess not, cuz not even the all-knowing I has heard of "The Angels," which I'm sure is not the same as the crappy early '80s glitterrock metal band called Angel -- the one that Frank Zappa made fun of on "Sheik Yerboutti" (I believe it was that FZ album). There was a band called the Comsat Angels that I like slightly back in the early 1980s.

As far as obscure or semi-obscure Australian bands that I've actually seen live, I saw in 1975 as an opener for uh... Styx and or was it Foghat or... anyway, the Aussie band was called The Skyhooks. They were sort of a NY Dolls meets Bowie act; not very good at all. The other Aussie band on my list that I saw live once was the early punkrock band called The Saints. That was 1979 or '80.

Onomatopoeic

Mercutio said:
..."Bach on electric guitar and Moog synthesizer"...

So you've not heard the William/Wendy Carlos (don't ask) recordings of the Well-tempered Klavier on a Moog, then?

It's pretty remarkable. I mean, an organ is hard enough to play on its own, but have you ever seen a Moog?

>> William/Wendy Carlos (don't ask)
...that would actually be Walter / Wendy

Carlos' best is probably "Sonic Seasons."

The Grammar Police

Quite so Onomatopoeic. The Angels had nothing to do with the American band of the same name. This is why they became "Angel City" in the USA, a market they had very little success in.

The Skyhooks were anything but obscure! They remain today the most famous and significant Australian band of all time - far more so than AC/DC or The Little River Band, or Air Supply or the Bee Gees or anyone else.

Why do I say this? Several reasons, but two stand out. First, they were the first band ever to break the longstanding Australian tradition of being a poor-man's home-grown imitation of an overseas band or artist and actually make money. Plenty of bands had written their own material before, of course, and quite a few had a distinctly Australian feel and content. But never before had any of them been a commercial success. The Hooks were the first and greatest of the successful Australian bands to actually be successful playing songs written in Australia abut Australia.

Secondly, they were incredibly successful. It is impossible to imagine the sumer of '75 without hearing Horror Movie or (when the sun sets over) Carlton, and equally ludicrous to picture the summer of '76 if not to the sound of Balwyn Calling. Those guys were huge. Last time I checked, the two best-selling Australian albums of all time were Living in the Seventies and Ego is not a Dirty Word - the first two Hooks albums.

Actual merit? That's a difficult one to call. The Hooks lived in that odd limbo in between pure commercial schlock on the one hand and genuine music on the other - like, say, 10 CC or Supertramp or perhaps even David Bowie. Their brief flirtation with makeup and stupid costumes tended to push them towards the former category and made them the darling of the teenie-bopper set, the quality of their material, their tightness and originality, and the delightfully quirky, understated lead guitar of Red Symonds spoke for the opposite case.

They were the quintessential Australian band, and their only real mistake was to take that tour of the USA - a market that they were never going to be understood by or successful in.

The Saints, on the other hand, were classic what you see is what you get. In their own way, they were excellent, and true pioneers of Punk - one of the very, very few bands to be playing punk before the English summer of '77 when the Pistols came to prominence.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
...Dave Warner's From the Suburbs...
You're kidding! I was a huge fan of Dave Warner.

Maybe we share so much common music because there really isn't much Oz music in the overall scheme of things? :wink:

I can understand why Skyhooks would go down badly in the US. To be fair, I'm not sure their live performances were always up to snuff, but both the lyrics and music would be largely incomprehensible in terms of US culture.

Timwhit said:
The Who is coming to Chicago in August
With or without Pete Townshend? You can count on Roger Daltrey to always give 110%, but last time I saw him he was accompanied by Pete's brother.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
time said:
With or without Pete Townshend? You can count on Roger Daltrey to always give 110%, but last time I saw him he was accompanied by Pete's brother.

It'll never be the same with out Moonie. I really wish I could have been able to see a Who show live at the height of their fury. This is actually saying quite a bit because I mostly don't like live music. I place a lot of importance in hearing and understanding the lyrics and what the artist is trying to say. It's hard to get that at a live show.

The only other bands I would be interested in seeing live would be Rush and U2. U2 because I already know all of the words; and Rush because I already know it's not about the words. Pretty much like going to a Phish concert to listen to the words.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Cliptin, Rush is touring this summer. I plan on seeing them if I can find someone to go with me. They are playing 4 miles from my house....

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tea has the right of it, Time. I was a dedicated Dave Warner fan in the late Seventies. I saw the band live maybe six or seven times, bought the "official bootleg" tapes, the whole deal. I still have a lapel button.

Now you won't need reminding of this, but some of our temporally and/or geographically challenged members will. Back in '76 and '77, Dave Warner's From the Suburbs was an underground phenomenon. Great crowds everywhere they went, rave reviews ... and no record contract. Not one single record company was game to sign them. This wasn't the usual "I don't think these guys will sell enough records", nor even "what if they spit on the producer and trash the studio?" it was that no record company was brave enough to sign a band that openly despised TV shows like GTK and Countdown, and played no-holds-barred music with a lyrical content that was, not to put too fine a point on it, profane, irreverant, libelous, and (worst of all) very true.

I mean, what do you make of the following little gem:

Girls wank
So do the interviewers at GTK
They yank
They tug the best years of their lives away
(various and assorted other slander follows)

"Ahem... There, Mr Warner, goes our last chance of ever promoting you on TV" (says the record company executive).

Anyway, the band eventually recorded themselves live at a couple of Perth pubs and made the tapes available as "official bootlegs". Cassette tape or nuffin - there were no CDs in those days. I bought the three tapes and treasured them. I don't think I have ever heard such raw energy and such an extraordinary mix of talents. And this was not your mindless Sex Pistols/MC5 sort of brain-dead aggro-thrash. No: it was loud, it was rough, but it had structure and intelligence, and you could always hear Dave's incisive, irreverant words, stripping away the pretensions of the beautiful people.

Years later, in a press interview, he said: "The key element that rock'n'roll performances have, when they are working well, is this huge exchange of energy between the audience and the band. This raw energy you are putting out provokes an incredible response from the audience, and they start to go off their heads, which in turned spurs you to greater heights."

He should know: live those guys were awesome. Yes, boring old Tannin has been off his head at Dave Warner concerts several times. And those dreadful official bootleg tapes captured the whole experience wonderfully. Dreadful sound quality, but an immediacy you could cut with a knife.

Alas, some years later I'd taken them to work and some bastard broke into my locker and stole them. By this time they had toned down a little, or perhaps the music industry had grown up a bit and society had become more tolerant, and Mushroom Records had signed them to a contract. (Same record company that signed the Hooks, by the way: by this time Mushroom were swimming in Skyhooks money and were the power in Australian music. They could pretty much do as they liked.) This meant two things: (a) you could now buy Mug's Game on proper vinyl at any ordinary record shop, and (b) the bootleg tapes were no longer available. I bought Mug's Game, of course, but it had nothing like the power of the bootlegs. Most of it was studio recorded, and this was one band that just had to be live to work.

It's been years since I thought about Dave Warner's music now, but you have reminded me, Time. (Or was it Tea that brought Dave Warner up? Whatever.) At lunchtime just now I disd a search and turned up www.davewarner.com.au Whats more, they have a double CD that claims to be more or less the original bootleg tapes! Hoolie Doolie! I wrote a cheque for $50 on the spot. Guess I'll get it in the mail next week sometime.

I wonder if, 25 years after the event, I'll still like it?

Watch this space.

GIANT

The Suburbs... heehee. BTW, I'm thinking of an American band called the Suburbs. Oh well, I don't recall them very well other than seeing a few records by them about 15 years ago or so.

However, I actually saw once (1980-ish, maybe) a sort-of cutsie punk-rock outfit from LosAngeles with a girl singer called The Suburban Lawns, and I occasionally still hear a track of theirs on one of the couple of fine local radio stations that we have here -- a track called "Gidget Goes to Hell."

Mushroom Records: Yes, I had maybe 2 Australian LPs (vinyl) aeons ago that were on the Mushroom label, but I'm still trying to recall what the hell they were at the moment. I also had a few LPs on Albert Productions aeons ago as well (the first 2 or 3 AC/DC albums). I believe I also had an LP from a band called Mythos, which could've been one of those on Mushroom Records.

Let's see, these days I actually have several Australian pressed CDs, and these might be some that even YOU Mr. Teadrinker aren't familiar with (just a conjecture, of course!): Mo Boma, Shinjuku Thief, Paul Schütze, Lights In A Fat City, Pieter Bourke, and probably a couple of more artists.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
If it's on CD, Giant, you may be very confident that I have not heard of it! Mine was the era of the black vinyl, the cassette tape and even, dare I say it, the eight track cartridge. Not that I ever stooped to that singlar horror, of course, but I was around when it was around. I can only assume that the whole world would join me in thanking the Good Lord that I have lasted quite a few years longer than it did.

GIANT

As far as vinyl goes, I sold all of mine back around 1982/3 through about 4 auctions. I was anticipating getting most of the recordings that I was still interested in re-obtaining at a later point in time on Compact Disc. Yes, it was a fairly big gamble, but *most* of what I wanted eventually did get reissued on CD.

OK Tannin, here's a list of recording artists/groups that I have managed to collect over time on CD -- don't squint too hard now :cry: :

• [list:d1df650519] 10CC, Älgarnas Trädgård, +N, A Small Good Thing, AFX, John Abercrombie, Agitation Free, Alison's Halo, Daevid Allen,Almost Digital, Amon Düül II, Amorphous Androgynous, Amp, Ian Anderson, Jon Anderson, Rob Angus, Aphex Twin, Arecibo, Ash Ra Tempel, Dr. Atmo, Atom Heart, Atomu Shinzo, Autechre, Baked Beans, Banco De Gaia, Syd Barrett, Bauhaus, Peter Baumann, Stevie Be Zet, David Bedford, Bedouin Acsent, Peter Benisch, James Bernard, Heidi Berry, Between, Bevis Frond, Biosphere, Bitniks, Black Dog, Tim Blake, Blue Cheer, Brainticket, Branca, Breeders, Michael Brook, Steve Brown, Harold Budd, Cabaret Voltaire, John Cage, Can, Lisa Carbon, Wendy Carlos, Caustic Window, Centipede, Chapterhouse, Chris & Cosey, The Clash, Cluster, Billy Cobham, Cocteau Twins, Bill Connors, Control X, Cosmic Jokers, The Cult, Culturcide, David Cunningham, The Cure, Holger Czukay, The Damned, David Darling, Datacide, Miles Davis, Dead Can Dance, Deep Space Network, Delerium, Deuter, Al DiMeola, Dif Juz, Disjecta, Djam Karet, Doctor Rockit, Dome, Doors, Durutti Column, Dzyan, Earth To Infinity, Einstürzende Neubauten, Electric Prunes, The Enid, Enigma, Brian Eno, Escape Tank, FFWD, FM, Facil, Jad Fair, Fanger & Siebert, Faust, Thomas Fehlmann, Felt, Flowchart, Flying Saucer Attack, Kim Fowley, Fripp & Eno, Robert Fripp, Edgar Froese, Future Sound Of London, Führs & Fröhling, Peter Gabriel, Jan Garbarek, Gas, Ptrick Gauthier, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Lisa Gerrard, Gila, Giles/Giles/Fripp, Gilgamesh, Gilles Zeitschiff, Egberto Gismonti, Global Communication, Godley & Creme, Sergius Golowin, Gong, Jean Philippe Goude, Peter Green, Jeff Greinke, Friedrich Gulda, Trilok Gurtu, Manuel Göttsching, Steve Hackett, Half Japanese, Peter Michael Hamel, Peter Hammill, Herbie Hancock, Harmonia, Hart/Wolff/Hennings, Jon Hassell, Hawkwind, Graham Haynes, Heavenly Music Corporation, Heldon, Jimi Hendrix, Henry Cow, Higher Intelligence Agency, Ralf Hildenbeutel, Steve Hillage, Michael Hoenig, Dave Holland, Haruomi Hosono, Steve Howe, Human Mesh Dance, Zakir Hussain, Hüsker Dü, In The Nursery, Tetsu Inoue, Intermix, International People's Gang, Jade Warrior, Jandek, Japan, Keith Jarrett, Joy Division, KLF, Edward Ka-Spel, Ingrid Karklins, Kid Spatula, Killdozer, Killing Joke, Jin Hi Kim, King Crimson, Danny Kirwan, Kraftwerk, Thomas Köner, Land, Laraaji, Lard Free, Bill Laswell, Thomas Leer & Robert Rental, Lejeune, Becker Lenhoff, Oliver Lieb, Lights In A Fat City, Love Sculpture, Love Spirals Downwards, Loveliescrushing, Lush, Lustmord, MC5, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Main, Steve Mallinder, Phil Manzanera, Marscape, Nick Mason, Masters Of Psychedelic Ambiance, Matching Mole, Material, Mauve Sideshow, McLaughlin/Santana Band, Chris Meloche, Pat Metheny, Miasma, Mike & Rich, Minus Infinity, Mir, Miranda Sex Garden, Mixmaster Morris, Mo Boma, Dieter Moebius, Meredith Monk, David Moufang, Movietone, Mu-Ziq, Muslimgauze, Robert Musso, My Bloody Valentine, Mysteries Of Science, Mythos, Pete Namlook, Bill Nelson, Neu !, Neutron 9000, james Newton, Nico, Pieter Nooten & Michael Brook, Ken Nordine, O Yuki Conjugate, Vidna Obmana, Mike Oldfield, Om, Omicron, Orange Cake Mix, The Orb, Jochem Paap, Pale Saints, Irene Papas, Passport, Daniel Pemberton, Jean Jacques Perrey, Barre Phillips, Photek, Richard Pinhas, Pink Floyd, Pino & Wildjammin, The Pixies, Polygon Window, Popol Vuh, Propeller Island, Public Image Ltd., Qubism, Quiet Sun, Ramases, Rapoon, Really Red, Red Crayola, Red Crayola/Art And Language, Red Krayola, Redeye, David Reeves, Achim Reichel, Vini Reilly, Graeme Revell, Jorge Reyes, Rhythm And Irrelevance, Robert Rich, Ride, Steve Roach, Roedelius, Rolling Stones, Michael Rother, Roxy Music, Terje Rypdal, Sacred System, Saddar Bazaar, Oskar Sala, Santana, Scala, Irmin Schmidt, Conrad Schnitzler, Eberhard Schoener, C. Schulz, Klaus Schulze, Paul Schütze, Seed, Seefeel, Seti, Adham Shaikh, Shakti With John McLaughlin, Jonah Sharp, Djen Ajakan Shean, Peter Sinfield, Single Cell Orchestra, Slapphappy, Jake Slazenger, Slowdive, Snowpony, Soft Machine, Victor Sol, Solitaire, Somma, Spacecraft, Spacetime Continuum, Spice Barons, Spicelab, Laurie Spiegel, Spyra, Chris Squire, Stars Of The Lid, Steeple Of Fyre, Stereolab, Stoa, Karlheinz Stockhausen, The Stooges, Andy Summers & Robert Fripp, Sun Electric, Sun Ra, Super Secret Orchestra, Superficial Depth, Surgeon, John Surman, David Sylvian, Synergy, TUU, Talking Heads, Tangerine Dream, Martin Taylor, Tele:Funken, Terrace Of Memories, Thirteenth Floor Elevators, This Mortal Coil, Mayo Thompson, Three Day Stubble, Steve Tibbetts, David Torn, Ralph Towner, Transient Waves, Trial Of The Bow, Robin Trower, Tube Bar, Tuxedomoon, U.K., Ultravox, Un Drame Musical Instantané, Undark, Uzect Plaush, Van Der Graaf Generator, Vangelis, Suzanne Vega, Velvet Underground, Massimo Vivona & Bela Cox, Voice Of Eye, Collin Walcott, Warsaw, Chris Watson, Weather Report, White Noise, Windy & Carl, Wire, Jah Wobble, Woob, Dominic Woosey, Richard Wright, Robert Wyatt, XTC, Xymox, Yatha Sidhra, Yes, Young Marble Giants, ZNR, Joe Zawinul, John Zorn.
[/list:u:d1df650519]

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
:)

And here is a list of of the recording artists/groups that GIANT has managed to collect over time on CD that I have heard of!

• 10CC, Ian Anderson, Jon Anderson, Syd Barrett, Bauhaus, The Clash, The Cult, The Cure, The Damned, Miles Davis, Al DiMeola, Doors, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Godley & Creme, Peter Green, Herbie Hancock, Hawkwind, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Howe, Keith Jarrett, Joy Division, King Crimson, Kraftwerk, MC5, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Phil Manzanera, Nick Mason, McLaughlin/Santana Band, Nico, , Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd, Public Image Ltd., Rolling Stones, Roxy Music, Santana, Shakti With John McLaughlin, Soft Machine, Chris Squire, The Stooges, Talking Heads, Tangerine Dream, Robin Trower, Ultravox, Van Der Graaf Generator, Vangelis, Suzanne Vega, Velvet Underground, Weather Report, Yes.

Does that date me?

GIANT

Tannin said:
And here is a list of of the recording artists/groups that GIANT has managed to collect over time on CD that I have heard of! [***LIST***] Does that date me?
YES, (Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman, White) I THINK IT COULD. 8)

OK, now from that list of Tannin-recognisable artists/groups, these are the one that I've seen live in concert:

• [list:22c4c958e0] Ian Anderson (with J.Tell in 1971), Jon Anderson (with Yes 1978), Bauhaus (1984), The Cure (1989), The Damned (1985), Miles Davis (1990), Al DiMeola (1979), Robert Fripp (1972 with K.C., 1973 with K.C., 1979 solo, 1981 with K.C.), Peter Gabriel (1987), Steve Howe (with Yes 1978), Keith Jarrett (1978), King Crimson (1972, 73, 81), Mahavishnu Orchestra (1973), Nick Mason (with PF 1977), Pink Floyd (1977), Public Image Ltd. (1980), Santana (1972, 1978), Chris Squire (with Yes 1978), Robin Trower (1977), Ultravox (1981), Van Der Graaf Generator (1977), Weather Report (1978), Yes (1978).
[/list:u:22c4c958e0]

time

Storage? I am Storage!
If you set out to establish beyond doubt who has the most impressively diverse CD collection ... you have succeeded. :eek:

My recognition percentage isn't significantly different from Tannin's, but I noticed a couple of interesting things:

You have albums by Nick Mason and Richard Wright, but not Dave Gilmour?

I was thrilled to see you have an album by Billy Cobham. How did you find out about him?

What a pity you aren't my neighbour. :mrgrn:

Splash

time said:
You have albums by Nick Mason and Richard Wright, but not Dave Gilmour?
I don't have a David Gilmour (guitar player for Pink Floyd, for those whom may not know) *only* because I haven't gotten around to buying his first solo album yet on CD. When the itch to get it occurs, I'll do so. I had a nice Japanese LP pressing his first solo album way back when. Also, I only like his first album, not his later one.

I was thrilled to see you have an album by Billy Cobham. How did you find out about him?
I've been aware of Billy Cobham since about 1971 or '72, actually, because he played for Mahavishnu Orchestra. IMO, one of the best drummers ever! I also like Bill Bruford's drumming (Yes, King Crimson, U.K., and solo). Both Bills are similar high-efficiency power / jazz drummers. I might also say that Billy Cobham is probably the LOUDEST drummer I've ever heard -- I'm talking natural acoustic loudness. The guy is a very hard hitting drummer even when he's playing normally.

What a pity you aren't my neighbour. :mrgrn:
And so says an old friend of mine that could be your neighbour -- he works at QIT.

Splash

GIANT said:
Mushroom Records: Yes, I had maybe 2 Australian LPs (vinyl) aeons ago that were on the Mushroom label, but I'm still trying to recall what the hell they were at the moment.
Well well. I finally got home (from doing yet-another god-forbidden midnight ~ 8AM shift) and look through a xerox copy of my old ancient LP auction list from 1982/83 and the reason that I can't recall the Mushroom Records label is because I didn't have any! But, I almost immediately figured out what I was REALLY thinking of: Pilz Records, a German record label. Pilz is mushroom auf deutsche.

Anyway, these WERE the significant Australian LPs that I had:

• On Missing Link Records: The Birthday Party, Boys Next Door.
    On Clear Light Of Jupiter Records: several albums by Cybotron.
    On Neutron Star Records: various albums by Ian McFarlane and one by Mythos.

I also had a Jimi Hendrix "doll cover" Band Of Gypsys album, which was the same as the Japanese cover. And then it shows a few odds and ends on EMI Records, Virgin Records, Beggars Banquet Records, and Island Records -- all Australian pressings -- which I might add used to be somewhat cheap here in the USA back in the late '70s and early '80s and usually were available when the USA, Canadian, or UK pressings were out-of-print.

The Grammar Police

Ahh, now I see Tannin making connections. He could almost have left Billy Cobham in his list. But then, that would not have been quite honest. In general, drummers are a waste of space.* A non-instrument that contributes little to the sound and could just as easily be left out. This modern fashion to mix the drums way, way up, and have the backing musicians dominate the entire sound was refreshing when it first came into vogue, and it stayed refreshing for quite a long time, all things considered. Gosh, it must have been almost a week. Then it became tiresome.

* Except when the drummer happens to make a real and vital contribution. For an excellent example, download Into the Malestorm from that Radio Birdman link Tannin gave above. Now there is a tune that I find it difficult to imagine without drums.

But whatever gives drummers the idea that they have to play all the way through every song? Do they think that it s impossible for a tune to have rhythm unless they mindlessly pound out the obvious? Have they never heard a really good solo accoustic guitarist play with enough rhythmic fire to make most bands with two drummers sound flat? (I'm not talking fancy musicianship here, merely timing and a touch of pasion: listen to Bob Dylan's solo tracks on Before the Flood, for example, or a little Billy Bragg. Nor need it be a guitarist: next time you hear a good performance of one of the major virtuoso violin concerti - the Beethoven or the Brahms, lets say - mentally subtract the orchestra and just listen to the rhythm of the soloist. No need for any drum-pounding whatever. And finally, consider what can be done without any instrument at all: I have never particularly cared for the quality of a singer's voice (at least not in this context) anywhere near so much as I care about what he does with it: the timing is everything: consider the rhythmic force of a Dave Warner monologue (remember Mug's Game, Time?), or Bob Dylan at his best, or - if it comes to that - a good reading of a Banjo Patterson poem.)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Splash said:
I don't have a David Gilmour (guitar player for Pink Floyd, for those whom may not know) *only* because I haven't gotten around to buying his first solo album yet on CD. When the itch to get it occurs, I'll do so. I had a nice Japanese LP pressing his first solo album way back when. Also, I only like his first album, not his later one.
The first is 'Wet Dream', isn't it? It's not even on the import lists in Oz. :(

I might also say that Billy Cobham is probably the LOUDEST drummer I've ever heard -- I'm talking natural acoustic loudness. The guy is a very hard hitting drummer even when he's playing normally.
That's no surprise considering his physique! He looks like he could carry a roadie under each arm. But one of the things I like about his drumming is the light and shade, something you don't normally get. I guess being able to hit hard helps, as does incredible physical control.

And so says an old friend of mine that could be your neighbour -- he works at QIT.
Do you mean "QUT"?

bahngeist

What is this storage?
There is no doubt that all of the guitarists mentioned are great, but I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Buddy Guy--if you like blues guitar, he is a must to see if you ever have the chance. In Calgary every year during the Calgary Stampede he plays at a local biker bar called the 'King Eddy', which is an 'interesting' venue to say the least ;)

Further to Giant's listing of the concerts he's attended, I can add the following: T Rex/Blue Oyster Cult ('74); Genesis ('80); Fleetwood Mac (Tusk tour); The Tubes/Peter Gabriel/David Bowie ('82 or '83) ; in Toronto (84-87): Pyschedelic Furs, Simple Minds, Ricki Lee Jones, New Order, The Cure (twice), Siouxsie and the Banshees, John Cale (Velvet Underground fame) ; 88-89: New Model Army, Bryan Ferry (Roxy Music vocalist), Robert Plant, Cowboy Junkies (in a bar, before they became 'kinda popular).

My taste in music is almost as eclectic as Giant's, which partially comes from the fact that past friends of mine owned a used record store. By hanging out there, I naturally widened my interests (one friend had over 3K albums in his personal collection). However, for the past while I have preferred silence and rarely play any music at all (part of that is due to the fact that my wife wrecked our tape deck, and most of my collection is on tape --someday soon I need to transfer the recordings over to CD before the tape deguasses significantly).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Can you remember what Blue Oyster Cult was like live?

I may still have a live album of theirs. Years ago, I used to listen to it with friends. With a 150mS delay feeding rear speakers, the experience was stunning.

Admittedly, this may have been helped by us being either drunk, stoned or both. :drinka:

bahngeist

What is this storage?
time said:
Can you remember what Blue Oyster Cult was like live?

I may still have a live album of theirs. Years ago, I used to listen to it with friends. With a 150mS delay feeding rear speakers, the experience was stunning ...
Vaguely, Blue Oyster Cult did however blow T Rex off the stage though, both in presence (rather understated) and the power of their music (excellent and straightforward). What was strange was that BOC was lined-up as the warm-up band, but they played after T Rex. That probably was for the best, since Mark Bolin (T Rex frontman) was on his downward slide by then -- chances are he was on a different planet at the time.

What is 'kinda scary to me is that almost as much time has passed since then and now as did between that concert and Glenn Miller's death (roughly 2 years shy of 3 decades). No real point there, but it does set a context given the generational differences: the gulf isn't as apparent between the Rock of the early 70s and now as there is between Rock and Swing.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
I decided to play my Blues Brothers album for wistful reasons. The Ray Charles song: Shake a Tail Feather, has great funk – I almost forgot about it.

I also mixed in some Fats Domino again. Strangely enough, many of the songs I like are not written by him – instead they are written by a D. Bartholomew and others. Although, one of my favorites songs: Ain’t That a Shame, has writer-ship shared by A. Domino and D. Bartholomew.

One thing I have been reminded of, is that my Aretha Franklin collection is sadly lacking. A recent visit to a friend’s house and now this Blues Brothers album has therefore reminded me of this gap in my music collection.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tannin said:
At lunchtime just now I disd a search and turned up www.davewarner.com.au Whats more, they have a double CD that claims to be more or less the original bootleg tapes! Hoolie Doolie! I wrote a cheque for $50 on the spot. Guess I'll get it in the mail next week sometime.

I wonder if, 25 years after the event, I'll still like it?

Watch this space.

Arrived tonight! Whoohoo! Can't complain about the service. The parcel arrived with the double CD, plus another Dave Warner album This is your planet and one of his detective novels, together with a hand-written note ""hope you enjoy the bonus book"!

Hey! It's autographed! I didn't notice it til just now. A real one too - i.e., it has my name and everything. Now Tea is going to be really jealous.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Finally got around to checking out the website, and I recognize the album I had as "Mug's Game", released in 1978.

The bad news is I suspect that many years ago I thought I had outgrown it, and consequently sold it. :cry: I should still have it on tape somewhere, except I've lost about 30 tapes along the way and I think that was one of them.

The good news is that now I can replace it on CD and recapture my youthful innocence (it's rather hysterical to use that word to describe anything to do with Dave Warner. :) )

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Bartender, do you feel like swapping a song? I'd be interested in sampling Fats Domino, if you'd like an example MP3 of Roy Buchanan.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
As my first contribution to this thread, I'm presently listening to Ledward Kaapana (Hawaiian slack-key guitar).

With the warm and humid weather I'm experiencing, the music seemed appropriate. I can picture myself in the Outrigger Waikiki, sitting at Duke's Canoe club during lunch, or Chuck's Steakhouse for happy hour, overlooking Waikiki and the Pacific Ocean - beautiful. Bartender, another Mai Tai please.

.Nut

time said:
Quote = "Splash" I don't have a David Gilmour (guitar player for Pink Floyd, for those whom may not know) *only* because I haven't gotten around to buying his first solo album yet on CD. When the itch to get it occurs, I'll do so. I had a nice Japanese LP pressing his first solo album way back when. Also, I only like his first album, not his later one.

The first is 'Wet Dream', isn't it? It's not even on the import lists in Oz. :(

No, "Wet Dream" is Richard Wright's (P.F. keyboards) album. It's typically available in the USA for a measly US$8.99 or $9.99 (on CBS / Sony).

...I might also say that Billy Cobham is probably the LOUDEST drummer I've ever heard -- I'm talking natural acoustic loudness. The guy is a very hard hitting drummer even when he's playing normally...

That's no surprise considering his physique! He looks like he could carry a roadie under each arm. But one of the things I like about his drumming is the light and shade, something you don't normally get. I guess being able to hit hard helps, as does incredible physical control.

I had forgotten -- when I posted -- that I actually saw him once in 1990 or 1991 at a drum clinic. Yep, he was still a strong drummer (weightlifter, whatever)!

Do you mean "QUT"?

Yes and no. QIT is nowadays QUT -- after the merger about 3 years ago, and still located on Queen Street, if I recall correctly.

.Nut

Tannin said:
Ahh, how could I have forgotten Radio Birdman? Well do I remember reading some half-brained gig review in Juke or RAM or one of those rags I tremble to admit I used to consumme assidously as a younger man, and - seeing as I spent every spare penny on records in those days - figuring I'd give this unheard-of Sydney band a try: Radio Birdman, Radios Appear. One of the best $6.95 I've ever spent...

I've never own a Radio Birdman album, but I have heard cuts from the "Radios Appear" album many a time on a couple of local radio stations for years.

And, just to show that it's a small world, I've actually met Radio Birdman's (and The Saints') sound engineer -- a chap named Andy Bradley. He was both group's sound engineer in the recording studio and on the road. He emigrated to the USA in 1980 or '81 to work at one of the earliest full-digital recording studios, a place called ACA Studios here in Houston. I met him 4 or 5 times there at ACA Studios when I was hanging out with a band called Really Red, which he was recording. I picked up on many a recording engineering tip from him when I was there. He was also working on mixing the sound for an upcoming movie (then) called "Killing Fields." I've met up with Andy a couple of times since, but not in -- oh, uh -- maybe 12 years. I believe he's still working around town here at an upscale recording studio called Sugar Hill.

slo crostic

Radio Birdman are one of the best bands ever IMHO.
Their album 'living eyes' is one of my all-time favourites. Why is it that so many bands break up after releasing two or three masterpiece albums?

BTW 'radios appear' was released in two versions; the Australian version, and the 'overseas' version. The overseas version contained the classic 'Aloha Steve and Danno' the classic rock version of Hawaii Five-0.