My feral cat on a bad day...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'll say. I'm not sure if it stuck, or the 200 pounds of cat on the window kept it from going up.

So much for the dumb animal idea. Vindictive? You bet :excl:

My little cat has cut me up, in about 1/4 second, twice. The first was when I turned on the blow dryer, to dry her off after she jumped in the shower, and the second was when the bug zapper went off and I was holding her.

The results, both times, are deep, 3/4-1 inch long cuts.

Given that, imagine what a REALLY angry leopard did to that guy, with his claws, and strength.

I guess the good news is they got the cat out of the cage...

:jumpin:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Yes, cats can scratch really good -- and they're super fast. It was pretty stupid of them to poke at the cat with a stick. They should just put a hydraulic lift on that truck so the cat has to slide out. A tranquelizer would work to, or at least some type of sedative. That way they could physically pick up the cat, carry it out of the cage and then lay it down. Get back in their vehicles (windows up, engines running, AC on), wait for the cat to regain consciousness and then split.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Current battle is the parks, like everything in africa, don't have any money, all stolen by their "governments".

Elephants seem very productive, and they are eating Kruger Park up.

Problem is they either need more park, or fewer elephants. Some would like to see hunting feeds for culling the elephants, thus giving the park money for some of the things they need, like supplies.

However, it seems animal activists are preventing that, so some ranger is going to have to go out and shoot a bunch of elephants, culling, to get the population down, with no benefit to the park.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Jake:
Do you like your Raptors, and how's that new system?

s

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You can't sell any elephant products, Greg, because if you do any at all, then you open up a whole vast market for poachers again: they go right back to selling ivory and pretending it's legitimate, legally-killed stuff when in fact it's from other elephant populations that are seriously endangered. Bottom line is you just have to find the money somewhere to pay a ranger to go out and shoot a proportion of the elephants in the park where there are too many and burn or otherwise destroy the ivory. Stupid waste, but nothing else works.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Why not relocate the elephants instead of killing them? Or send them to a zoo? Admittedly a zoo is not the best option, but I'm sure the elephants would prefer it to being dead. There has to be a better way to control elephant populations than just killing them. Maybe we need a pachyderm pill or selective sterilization. The poachers are the only ones who should be killed.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Elephants are smart, difficult to move, and they just don't have the resources to keep up with the breeding.

Same with most of the Africian animals. Governments bleed people dry, and the people have no money, while Mugabes live in Paris in 5000 dollar a night palace hotel rooms.

Kruger really screwed up last time. They killed all the big bull elephants(maybe for ivory, as well as culling?) and they ended up with a bunch of adolescent males that went on a rampage, killing everything, including 5, extremely valuable, and near extinct, white rhinos.

s

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Santilli said:
Jake:
Do you like your Raptors, and how's that new system?

s

love the Raptor, it's by far the fastest drive I've ever had. WinXP loads in about 10sec... the new system is great too. I gave it a good test last night. I had the following tasks running in parallel:

render some video & burn to DVD
defrag C:
full file system virus scan
2 x folding instances
prime95 torture test

the system remained reponsive and was able to quicky do tasks like open an Office apps & browse web. I was very impressed.