MySQl vs. MS SQl Server 2000

Handruin

Administrator
I'm working on an internal web site for work, which will include the use of php and a database engine. I currently have MS SQL server 2000 setup and running, but I was considering changing from a NT based setup to a Linux red hat 7.x.

My question is how does MySQL compare to MS SQL server 2000. I can hear the answer now...it depends on what you are doing Doug...be more specific. I will ultimately be creating a read only site that gathers information to build searchable pages. There will be a limited number of users that will enter information. The amount of people to access the site will range from 50-1000. It's a large spread, but if the site becomes useful, more people may use it. The amount of hits per way will be small (maybe 30-100), but could grow as time goes on.

I'm leaning towards a Linux setup as I feel it may be a bit more stable in the long run. It will be for internal use only, and the site will be on a 100Mb connection. I was planning on using the apache/php/mysql combination. Otherwise the current setup of windows 2000 advanced server with IIS will be hosting the page. Any suggestions…I’m new to this.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
MS SQL Server is a fairly heavyweight product. It doesn't sound like what you're doing will require the truly advanced features of MSSQL. That, and the cost of licenses for 300 users would be pretty large.

On the other hand, the times I've worked with MySQL I've missed some things that I consider basic to DB functionality, like views. MySQL/PHP is great for single-table or non-complex queries, though. If your data set is such that you're doing a lot of JOIN queries, or you need multiple sort-orders or other representations of the same table, maybe you WOULD be better off with MSSQL.

An intermediate step between MySQL and MSSQL is Postgres. Something else to look into.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
MS SQL Server is a fairly heavyweight product. It doesn't sound like what you're doing will require the truly advanced features of MSSQL. That, and the cost of licenses for 300 users would be pretty large.

On the other hand, the times I've worked with MySQL I've missed some things that I consider basic to DB functionality, like views. MySQL/PHP is great for single-table or non-complex queries, though. If your data set is such that you're doing a lot of JOIN queries, or you need multiple sort-orders or other representations of the same table, maybe you WOULD be better off with MSSQL.

An intermediate step between MySQL and MSSQL is Postgres. Something else to look into.

I appreciate the comments Mercutio. I think a better way to describe what I am doing is that the person doing it (me) does not know how to take advantage of the features within SQL server. :) The cost of license doesn't really matter as we use the licensing for CPU's not "per seat". Plus, I think it's paid for, but that's beside the point.

I do not think I am capable just yet of creating such a complex web site that would require what you have listed. I'm looking to make a page that will generate a list of people with select skills. This page will be searchable so that if a person requires help in a specific area, they will be able to find a person with knowledge in that field. There will be only a few people with permissions to add new listings into the DB. I can picture the project in my head so I don't think it will require a great deal of complex DB work.

My next task is to install an OS. I went searching for equipment today at work and I stumbled upon a gold mine, or more realistically, one piece of gold. One of the other groups have had this NCR server sitting under their bench, not even plugged in. So I asked about it, and they gave it to my group. I looked it up online and check this puppy out:

http://www.ncr.com/products/hardware/hw_td4455ts_product.htm

the basics of the server are:

• 4x Pentium 3 Xeon 500 MHz 1 MB cache
  • 2x Seagate Cheetah 9 GB SCA hot swappable hard drives...not sure the model just yet
  • 256 MB ram (surprised how low this is)
  • Intel 10/100 NIC
  • 2x 10/100 internal NIC (not sure who makes it)
  • 3x 375 watt power supplies, one for redundancy
  • Adaptec 2940U2W adapter (not used)

My boss wants me to put Solaris 8 X86 on it, but I had some trouble getting it started. I'm going to play with it some more tomorrow night. I wanted to put Linux 7.2 on it as I feel it offers more, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

Either way i couldn't believe that this group gave me this machine to use. They haven't turned it on in a year...what a waste. Not too shabby for a web server, the only downfall I see is the 256MB ram.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Sounds like very simple DB work. Just a handfull of tables. No complex relationships. Exactly the sort of thing MySQL is made for.