Name change for forum---Pub & Brewery

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Everyone who has found this site knows that it is called 'Storage Forum'...duh.

So the usage of Storage Forum as part of the forum title is not only redundant, it may also (apparently?) cause some n00bs to think it's the computer orientated technical support *chat room*. How else can you explain so many tech support threads getting posted in the Pub & Brewery.

The Storage Forum Pub & Brewery
Come in for a chat, and have a drink.

Recommend you change the name to just Pub & Brewery...and perhaps to avoid confusion, lol add this part:

"Come in for a chat, and have a drink. Non (international/universal jargon for "no" ;) ) storage/computer topics"

Handruin

Administrator
I guess I never really thought about it much, but I could change the title just to simplify things.

Also, what about merging the tech support and computer section all together? Since people seem to mix the two in terms of posting questions, it might just make sense to make them one in the same and merge the existing posts into it.

To simplify things even more, I could move the for sale and this feedback forum as sub forums under the pub and brewery.

Purposed layout would look like this:
  • Computers
    • News
    • Folding at home
    • Toolbox Reference Section
  • Pub and brewery
    • Feedback
    • For Sale & Trade

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I like the arrangement we have now, including the names. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to look at tech support stuff, so I like that it's separate.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I recall that "Storage Forum Pub & Brewery" was chosen as an alternate to the "Bar and Grille" forum at the old SR.

Handruin

Administrator
It was. It's the additional "Storage Forum" text in the title that Udaman was making a commenting on. The title should read just as "Pub & Brewery".

Handruin

Administrator
Man, I don't think Trinton's name will ever be forgotten. What an impression that person made. :)

Handruin

Administrator
I made the change. It's a small variation on what I originally planned. The only difference is that I left tech support as a sub forum rather than merging the threads.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I really don't care: Either way is fine. For the most part, I just use the new posts link or the search link, both of which make the underlying forum structure moot.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Why do you care what forum the new posts are in?
I just bookmarked the new posts link from the toolbar at the top and use that as my gateway into storageforum. I never really see the main forum page except when I want to make a new post.

ddrueding

Fixture
Poking at it some more, sub-forums actually isn't that great from a usability standpoint. If they were top-level forums, you would see what the last thread was and who posted it. If they were consolidated with other top-level forums, there would be less lists to look at to see all the posts. As it is, you have just as many places to look for more threads, but you have less information about them.

Oh, well. Thanks for the thought Handy.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I just bookmarked the new posts link from the toolbar at the top and use that as my gateway into storageforum. I never really see the main forum page except when I want to make a new post.

I look at the main page to see who is online. If for example I know that Tannin and Tea are lingering, there will probably be something new and fun in a short period of time. There are threads I don't read (camera threads, car threads etc.) and if I see that they are the threads that are creating discussion, I might not click into those fora. I don't like the loss of that information.