"Natural" keyboard

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
How many here use a "natural" keyboard?

I just ordered one home, a Logitech cordless optical comfort. It's my first natural keyboard, and feels very weird! I wanted a new mouse, and something in black was the criteria according to my wife ;). So I decided on this.

It's not so bad after 15 minutes of use....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
"Natural" keyboards suck. I'm left handed, and there are keys I normally hit with fingers on my left hand, that're on the right side of the split.

They're obviously a communist plot to force people into inferior right-handedness.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I'm having trouble using the right side of the keyboard, mostly the part with the arrow keys and home/end/page..... and enter. When I'm using the arrow keys, I tend to push this " ' " instead of enter.

Besides that, I'm almost starting to like this keyboard! It doesn't feel that bad after all (I was a bit hesitant first when I was about to order this....).

Handruin

Administrator
I never liked the natural keyboards. I'm all for the straight keyboards.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Some wiseguy will probably get his kicks out of this straight/natural thing....;)

Never used one before (been "straight" all my life, until now)..... :mrgrn:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Wen I first started using a natural keyboard my typing speed slowed down. Then, once I got used to it, my typing speed increased past my speed on an "unnatural" keyboard. I use both kinds even at home but prefer the natural.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
I use the natural keyboards almost exclusively, except right now when I'm typing on my laptop keyboard, which incidentally is driving me insane...
When I'm at home I hook a natural keyboard up to the laptop to use it.
Regular keyboards feel so cramped and increase my errors and slow me down significantly.

Jan Kivar

I use a natural with my primary comp, regular with my older comp. What I find irritating is that whenever I change types (regular/natural), I can't seem to be able to hit dot/comma/"m" correctly for 15-30 mins. Well, maybe it has something to do about the fact that I'm left-handed...

BTW, I have so small hands that I can't hit enter without lifting my right-hand fingers from the "dedicated" letters. Ditto for some numbers.

Cheers,

Jan

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been using an MS Natural keyboard for a couple of years now, but recently I had to do a typing speed test for a prospective employer and it wasn't too good going back to a straight one.

mangyDOG

When I was at uni and having to type 23/7 to get assignments finished I ended up with RSI to the point where I couldn't even hold a pen. A week after changing to a "natural" KB the RSI was noticably better and within a month had gone completely. I now have them on every PC I use. :wink:

cheers,
mangyDOG

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Just wanted to recommend the Gyration cordless KB/mouse combos if you're looking for a black + wireless option. Double the range of Logitech and MS wireless products. Mouse is optimized to use without a desk. The Ultra GT Compact version is particularly suited for HTPC use, or basically if you want a small KB or don't want a numeric keypad wasting horizontal space.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
the specs dont make me believe it has any greater range (i've gotten better range through doors and such with my logitechs... additionally it costs 3-4 times as much as the logitech wireless duo....

hard to justify the price.

Piyono

Storage is cool
I've had a passing interest in alternative keyboards for a while and in my travels I happened upon some interesting websites. KeyAlt sells all sorts of wacky designs from different manufacturers. Models range in price from reasonable to ridiculous.
http://www.keyalt.com/kkeybrdp.htm

My biggest beef with keyboard design is that the numeric keypad, while very useful, is on the right-hand side of the keyboard, where it eats up valuable mousing space. (for right-handers like me). Call me crazy, but I want my keyboard and mouse as close together as possible; every degree my hand has to swing when moving my right hand from mouse to keyboard is wasted time and energy, when I'm really in the groove.

Train of tought lost...

Piyono

e_dawg

Storage Freak
blakerwry said:
the specs dont make me believe it has any greater range (i've gotten better range through doors and such with my logitechs... additionally it costs 3-4 times as much as the logitech wireless duo....

hard to justify the price.

You gotta be kidding... My Logitech Cordless mouseman optical doesn't even work for left-handed mousers. Use it on the other side of the keyboard (transceiver base is on the right hand side of the keyboard, directly below the desk), and the signal is too weak.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
when I 1st got my duo I checked the range.. atleast 30 feet through two or 3 closed doors.....

with my cordless trackman I get atleast 15 feet (havent tested further).... with my remote wonder I get atleast 20 feet.