Need new speakers...advice?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey all -
my old Cambridge SoundWords FourPoint Surround speakers are just not cutting it. I guess they sound OK, but I want better. Plus, one of the speakers has a short in it, and cuts out a little too often for my tastes. Any suggestions for a new speaker set? I use my speakers mostly for music (160+ bps MP3s and audio CDs), DVDs, and some games (so 3D surround is very nice). I have an old SoundBlaster Live card that I'm willing to replace if need be.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Adcadet said:
Hey all -
my old Cambridge SoundWords FourPoint Surround speakers are just not cutting it. I guess they sound OK, but I want better. Plus, one of the speakers has a short in it, and cuts out a little too often for my tastes. Any suggestions for a new speaker set? I use my speakers mostly for music (160+ bps MP3s and audio CDs), DVDs, and some games (so 3D surround is very nice). I have an old SoundBlaster Live card that I'm willing to replace if need be.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

well, the SB live had crapy rear outputs(comparatively)... but good enough if you use the rear outputs for rear speakers ( :roll: )

but since most games are still using EAX/direct3D audio I don't think you neccessarily need anything better unless you want to go digital.

sorry, I can't recomend any good speaker sets.. what are you willing to spend? $200? $400?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Justdeals.com has a refurbed set of Logitech Z640s for $35. Those things are a bargain at $100, let alone under $50. Logitech makes great, inexpensive computer speakers. I swear they're good stuff. Honest.

At the $300 price point, I'd start looking for something that's, no offense, more in line with "real" HT gear, so that you can use real speakers. You can get a decent receiver for $200 or so (I'd suggest an Onkyo TXDS494. I saw one at Circuit City a last weekend for $180) and a "starter set" of 5.1s from, say, KLH or Yamaha for around $100. I bought a set of Acoustic Research HC5s (matched sub/sat cube-type thing) for my living room. I saw those on sale someplace or other for $140 right after I bought mine.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
(I'd suggest an Onkyo TXDS494. I saw one at Circuit City a last weekend for $180) and a "starter set" of 5.1s from, say, KLH or Yamaha for around $100.

That's the receiver I have. I run all sounds digitally to it and then to a set of 5 Onkyo satelites. I had to also buy a sub.

Andy, look into the USB speaker systems. Merc, recomended a look at them before and I'd look at them if I wasn't already invested.

Mercutio

I mentioned them in passing; my audio needs are a little bit different from your average gamer, too.

Yamaha and Creative both make decent-ish external receiver-like products that handle audio extremely well, but at the cost of USB-bus bandwidth. The Creative Extigy goes for $125 or so, and I know its main drawback is that the $#%#$ing thing still doesn't have real speaker outputs, or even spring-clips, so you aren't really solving a problem with computer speakers by moving to Extigy.

After my Logitech recommendation (which is very serious. They're fantastic speakers), I'd go out and find the cheapest receiver I could find from one of Yamaha or Onkyo with support for DPLII, 5.1 input and component video. That's probably going to be a $200 unit, and it'll probably look "underpowered" compared to Pioneer or Sony offerings at the same price. If you can't audition them just trust me when I say you're getting a better product from Onkyo or Yamaha AT THAT PRICE POINT than the other guys (sorta like looking at a $25 video card from Matrox with 16MB RAM and a $25 card from SiS with 128MB... for 95% of its users, the Matrox is probably the better choice).

Adcadet

Storage Freak
remind me again what the benefit of USB speakers is. Why use up all that bandwith?

Are there now speakers that run on USB2.0 to help conserve bandwidth?

Mercutio

No there aren't but er, what were you doing with it anyway?

Main benefit is to move your sound hardware out of the EMI-hellstorm that is your case.

Secondary benefits are providing more receiver-like functions (extra inputs and outputs and digital decoding and such) and ease of placement for folks who connect and disconnect things all the time.

They're somewhat expensive ($125 - $200), and especially when $200 buys something with REAL speaker outputs, video switching and multiple digital audio in/outputs.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I think you better try for the Logitech's Andy. Based on the research I did last year the prices jump from ~$70-100 to $300+ for the sound system. Essentaily because in order to use speakers that sound better than the Logitech's you will need to use an external amplifier. And a decent external amplifier like the 494 will cost nearly ~$200 by itself. Then you have to buy speakers and then possibly update the sound card for the proper outputs. The sound card might be ok but you are still over $200.

I believe I spent $350 total for my setup. 494 used off ebay, sats refurb off ebay, sub off ebay, soundcard off ebay.

Note: I'm only recommending the Logitech's based on Merc reco.

Mercutio

In december I posted something about a set of Z340s (2.1s) in the Sale forum, saying they were a fantastic buy at $25. They are. Several others followed that recommendation and responded postively. Logitech makes a very nice sub/sat setup that just can't be beaten - some reviewers say the Klipsch sets sound better, but they also cost at least twice as much. Yoiu'd be hard pressed to do better without moving into real HT equipment (which I still think is a better idea if you really want to spend $300 on audio for a PC).

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
Believe it or not, Guitar Center has a pretty good selection of powered speakers (at least the 3 GCs here in the Houston area do) for low Walmart-like prices. These speakers are in their recording studio section of the store. They have all sorts brands of powered speakers in various price ranges, and these are all magnetically shielded. They might even have some "trade-in" speakers for even lower $. However, they aren't going to have any $13 specials of the kind that you'd find at a CompUSA.

Guitar Center
1641 West County Road B2
Roseville, MN 55113
Store Hours:
M-F: 10-9, Sat: 10-7, Sun: 12-6

339TwinCitiesQMAP_L.gif

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
In december I posted something about a set of Z340s (2.1s) in the Sale forum, saying they were a fantastic buy at $25. They are. Several others followed that recommendation and responded postively.

I'm one of them. :mrgrn:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Will Rickards WT said:
You guys are making me feel real bad about my cheapo $10 speakers. But I don't game or listen to music on the PC.

i bought a <$20 2.1 piece system for a computer where there's no gaming (other than the SIMS) and was no music..... since I got the speakers music use has increased drasticly.. fortunately the speakers are good enough for that purpose.

for my own uses I use an Altec Lansing 4.1 setup.. think it retailed for ~$175 when new.. i got it as a display model and saved a bit... I don't hink they make these anymore.. they're good for the newer 3D games and for music.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Quick question:
is a Sound Blaster Extigy a decent sound card? I need a best man gift, and my best man's Soundblaster 64 is too outdated to work with current games.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Adcadet said:
Quick question:
is a Sound Blaster Extigy a decent sound card? I need a best man gift, and my best man's Soundblaster 64 is too outdated to work with current games.

yeah, it's a decent sound card... but so is a Live, audigy, hercules sound theatre, TBSC, etc.

The problem with the extigy is that it's a USB 1.1 completely external sound card and the extra CPU reliance of USB may lead to crackling.. for games, I'd recomend a PCI sound card...

honold

Storage is cool
KLIPSCH

(i use the 2.1s because i think 4 speaker setups are a pain in the ass)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Let's get something straight right off the bat. Computer speakers are crap. If you're going to spend $300, get real stereo equipment like Mercutio suggested. If you're going to spend $150-200, there are only 2 speakers that don't suck royally:

1. Klipsch Promedia 2.1, $200
2. Monsoon PM-14, $150

Coincidentally, I have both of these systems. I have tried a bunch of competing systems and find most of them to be unworthy of musical reproduction. These are the only two systems that I've heard that don't butcher voices and instruments beyond recognition. (I haven't heard the Altec 641's time suggested, but I haven't heard a decent sounding Altec speaker yet, so I don't hold out much hope)

Like honold, I would say avoid surround sound speaker systems. It's hard enough keeping the quality level up with 2.1 systems; if you have to make a 4 or 5.1 system sound good, you have to make so many design compromises to keep the price reasonable that you inevitably wind up with something that sounds like crap.

While the Logitech stuff some have suggested may be a decent value, they still sound pretty bad. (I have the Z-340's, which are abominable in every way except for the sub being "biggest in its class" and sometimes being dirt cheap; I heard the Z-560's at Best Buy... disappointing, given all the hype). The ex-Labtec team does a good job at making things sound just good enough to make you buy it in a store after seeing the relatively low price; once you get it home and start doing some critical listening, you'll hear all the design compromises they used to meet their low price points.

If you absolutely must have 4 or 5.1, get the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 or 5.1.

Notes:

1. The Klipsch horn tweeters are a little bright. Use a little EQ to address this issue. I use -1.5 dB from 5-14 kHz.

2. The PM-14 satellites are a little rolled off at both the low and high ends. I use +2 dB from 200-250 Hz and +2 dB from 10-16 kHz.

3. Anytime you place a sub under a desk, you will make it even boomier (and most of these computer subs are boomy in the midbass, even the Klipsch and Monsoon). Add a +6 dB shelf at 30-40 Hz and a -3 dB cut from 80-140 Hz to flatten out the bass response.

4. The PM-14 satellites are capable of surprisingly good imaging, but placement is critical. You must have them close to the front of the desk and well away from the wall. Spread them far apart and angle them in towards you to form an equilateral triangle with your head.

5. The most important thing you should listen for is a lack of colouration through the midrange. Many PC speakers suffer from cabinet resonances, internal standing waves, poor crossover design, peaky resonant drivers, etc. You can fix spectral balance problems like those found in the Klipsch and Monsoon pretty easily with EQ; you cannot, however, eliminate colouration and resonances.

Mercutio

Just goes to show how subjective speakers are. I can't stand Klipsch speakers, particularly not when I think about how much they're charging for them. IMO, the sub that comes with Klipsch speakers tends to overpowering even at low volumes.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Cheap 2.1 systems are generally not worth their weight in plastic. Crappy, phase-distoroting crossovers, cheap-sounding subwoofer tricks, muddy mids and indiscernable highs do not a good listening experience make.
If you have the desk space go for two full-range speakers instead. Semi-pro active studio monitors are ideal here because they're sheilded, are built decently and generall make far better computer speakers than do many computer speakers.
I much prefer clean, even-toned, phase-coherent audio to 70Hz than distorted boom-and-tizz garbage to a claimed "35Hz-20KHz". Truth is, when the majority of the spectrum is accounted for, your brain fills in what it thinks it would like to hear, so you probably wouldn't miss the bottom octave much, anyway.

For about US$300 you can pick up a pair of the following speakers:
Yamaha MSP5
Event Tuned Reference 5
M-Audio BX5
Samson Resolv 65a

There are others in this price range, no doubt, but these are readily available at B&H, and in the pro-audio/recording departments of music stores.
Of the above list I'm familiar only with the Yamahas, which, despite their tiny footprint (they're the smallest of the bunch, I believe), are a very capable speaker. They also look nice.
One more thing to keep in mind here is that these speakers - with the exception of the Yamahas - do not have volume controls, so you'll have to depend soley on software controls or put some sort of variable attenuator between your soundcard and the speakers. I couldn't find such a device on Radio Shack's website, but I'm sure somebody must make one.

Piyono
[/url]

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Adcadet said:
Quick question:

A little off topic but....the gift you're going to get your best man is something that will eventually be outdated and worthless?

Piyono

Storage is cool
Two corrections to my last post:
1. Here's the Proper Link to the Samson Resolv monitors.
2. The link for the Yamaha speakers is correct, but I typed MSP5 instead of MSP3.

Piyono

Splash

time said:
These are the best computer speakers I've ever heard...

Actually, the speakers I was talking about just above your message are fully compatible and fully safe around any computer system's monitors and magnetic storage.

Many near field recording studio speakers are pretty much the upper crust of "small" powered speaker systems as far as audio quality goes, but they are not marketed as computer speakers. However, these manufacturers nowadays probably sell a bit more than half of their production to computer users that have dedicated audio workstations using ProTools, ACID, Sound Forge, Cakewalk, etc. The rest go to "modern" audio recording studios which have mixing desks and patchbays that have computer video monitors.

A good one that I've auditioned, but it's NOT cheap...

Ellipse8_small.jpg
Tannoy Ellipse 8

Inputs 22 k ohm balanced via XLR
Input Sensitivity +4 dBu to -10 dBu continuous
Frequency Response +/- 3 dB 40 Hz - 50 kHz (+2 dB to 20 kHz)
Peak SPL (pair @ 1 m) 118 dB
Built In Amplifier LF channel (6 ohm load) 150W rms
HF channel (6 ohm load) 150W rms
ST channel (6 ohm load) 30W rms
Mains Voltage Adjustable 110-120 or 220-240 Volts

Enclosure Type Laminated birch, optimized bass-reflex loaded.
Volume 19.5 Litres
Dimensions 14.70" x 18.10" x 13.75"
Weight 33 lbs
Finish Satin black painted baffle.
Grey suede paint (black on SuperTweeter)
Magnetically Shielded Included

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A fully time coherent, 3-way active system utilising Dual ConcentricTM plus SuperTweeterTM drive units, the Ellipse 8 has a frequency response extending to above 50 kHz for monitoring of wideband programme material. Ninety degree horizontal dispersion gives you a wide sweet spot for practical working across the console, while analogue signal processing achieves an exceptionally flat frequency response in use. Discrete MOSFET power amplifiers, with generous power supply, provide more than ample power with extremely low noise and distortion. The unique cabinet shape not only has a striking appearance but is inherently stiff. Constructed of laminated birch with a massive MDF baffle and rear panel, the enclosure is non-resonant acoustically and mechanically.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Splash, we're trying to find a set of speakers under $300...
The Tannoy Elipse cost thousands.
Bit of a gap, eh?

Piyono

Piyono

Storage is cool
Howell said:
Actually Pi, we are trying to find a sound system for
under $300 most definitely. And under $200 preferably.

The Event and the Yamaha speakers look decent at ~$170.

Sure, a sound system, fine. But on a PC that means speakers, an amp and a means of controllinng the volume. Powered speakers get you two thirds of the way there. The Yamhas take you all the way.
Incidentally, the Yamahas are ~$150 each at B&H, but they'll always knock off a few bucks if you click the "Give me a better price" link.

Piyono

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I like the 'look' of the Event speakers (active xover, damping material, no 'subwoofer', etc), but regrettably, I suspect they're just too small to be taken seriously.

I see you can get the Altec 621 (2.1) for under $100 in some places, and I'd be interested in hearing someone explain to me how something like the Event could be nearly twice as good - in scientific terms.

On that note, Honold, I've only ever bothered with the ATP3 and 621 (641) from Altec Lansing, both 3-way sytems. Their other computer products look pretty crappy to me, with middling reviews to match.

The 621 is still not HiFi, but it's a damn site better than anything else I've seen under $150. As well as the 641, DansData liked the Logitech Z-560.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Piyono, I like Yamaha quality - I'm a long-term fan - but the speakers you suggested are just toys. I mean, a 4" woofer?

If you only ever listen to light classical music, these would be a good choice. I can't think of any other musical or gaming application. :(

Piyono

Storage is cool
time said:
Piyono, I like Yamaha quality - I'm a long-term fan - but the speakers you suggested are just toys. I mean, a 4" woofer?

If you only ever listen to light classical music, these would be a good choice. I can't think of any other musical or gaming application. :(

Time, go out and listen to the MSP3s and then come back and tell me they're just toys -- I defy you!
Yamaha's never been in the business of decieving their customers, and they're not out to fool anyone with these speakers. No hyped claims, no stupid bass tricks. They're small and they only reach so far down, but the spectrum they do cover is aptly represented. They are of very good quality, from the sounds they produce to their physical build.
You're not the only Yamaha fan in the house, and there's no reason to quit now.

Piyono

honold

Storage is cool
Piyono said:
Time, go out and listen to the MSP3s and then come back and tell me they're just toys -- I defy you!
who is this msps3? COME TO ME, MSPS...IF YOU DARE...I DEFY YOU! COME...COME AND KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! ZOD!

e_dawg

Storage Freak
You know, that is a great idea Piyono and Gary. Powered studio monitors... I never thought of that. And here I was lamenting the endless mountain of crap that is known as computer speakers while all along sitting right under my nose was a decent alternative marketed for a different application.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
Time, have you ever tried the Altec Lansing 221 set? They make for a nice $40.00 set.

Actually, I was hoping to real soon now, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

I've been licking my wounds since a supplier talked me into Pure Data (Videologic). He claimed the ZX500s were the best thing since sliced bread, he had them himself, and just look at the weight of the satellites ...

And I see there's even a new gushing review from HiFi World. :roll:

IMO, the bass is a one-note boom box and the satellites are a blurred mash without any definition whatsoever. I'll concede they're relatively cheap ($50), but I still haven't found someone sufficiently tone-deaf to offload them on. :(

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Time, my customer's have only said good things about the 221 series. They usually end up in a home-office environment where the end-user has the opportunity to listen to music while working. For those customer's that just need a decent set of speakers without the extra bass, I usually sell the 220 series. The build-quality for both is good and the handy diagram that comes with the speakers makes it easy for the customer to put everything together themselves.

If you buy either of these, let me know what you think, I know your hearing is much more acute to good sound quality then mine.

GMac

My Altec Lansing ACS 33's (2.1) are the best speakers I've come across yet, and they didn't cost me an arm and a leg either (a smidgen under £40). Nice & crisp in games and for musical duties - I'd recommend them to anyone.

GM