Need Scsi Guru

calculated_risk

What is this storage?
I have been searching for a solution to a particular problem. I am running a couple of scsi drives with IDE storage. A recently purchased IBM scsi drive(DDYS-T09170) is not accessable anymore. When I first installed it, I could access it with my setting the ID to whatever I pleased. I am using an Adaptec 2940UW adapter. Whenever I go into the adapter bios config now and try to access it by either verifying disk or format disk , I get the error as follows:

Target Scsi ID 0 / Scsi CDB Sent 03 00 00 00 0E 00 70 00 02 00 / Host Adapter Status 02h-No Host adapter error / Target Status 02h-Check Condition / Sense Key - 02h -Not Ready / Sense Code - 04h / Sense Code Qualifier - 00h

Now I can plug in the other scsi drive (Fujitsu ) and it works perfectly.

I also notice at bootup , the working drive displays as foolows:

Scsi ID: Lun 0:0 Fujitsu (model) Drive 83h

And when I try the IBM drive on bootup it reads the ID Lun ,, Ibm DDYS T09170 , but the drive 83h part is missing.

Obviously, I have fouled up the drive # setting. I have tried several jumpers on the drive to reset the drive , such as disable unit attention. I know that the termination and ID settings are correct. At this point however , I am at a loss as how to procede to reset the drive . I am trying not to do further damage. Any help is genuinely appreciated.

calculated_risk

What is this storage?
I have tried all default conditions. Could have fdisk possibly caused problems? As I stated above , the Adapter parameters are correct.
My next question is : Is there resident information on the drive? I am aware that when tested at the factory a bad sector report is created and these sectors are "hidden" . Is there maybe other info that got corrupted and can it be restored anyway other than the manufacturer ?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
This problem is at the HW/Firmware level. The adapter is not properly communicating with the drive. Formats and Fdisk issues are irrelevant at this level. I know the drive is being seen and has power because the drive ID is shown at bootup.

Lets simplify - do this diagnostic procedure one step at a time.

Make sure that the wiring and termination is correct. The adapter's termination should be set to auto. There are no devices on the cable other than adapter, IBM drive and terminator. Reboot and see if the drive is properly detected by the adapter during bootup.

Set all jumpers on the drive to their default settings. The drive should be at ID#0. That should eliminate all drive settings issues. Reboot and test for connectivity again.

Set all settings on the adapter to their default settings - Termination should still be at auto. The host id should be at 7.

Switch the plug that the drive attaches to the SCSI cable: it is possible for the plug on the cable to be bad.

Swap-out the cable/terminator with a new cable/terminator: it is possible that the cable is bad. Don't go cheap with the cable - The difficulty in diagnosing cable problems is not worth it.

If the drive is SCA you are either using a 68->80 pin converter or a SCA drive cage with carriers. Switch-out carriers or the converter. it is quite possible that these have failed. Don't go cheap on the carriers/converters and make sure you have the proper kind for the SCSI mode you will be using - The difficulty in diagnosing converter/carrier problems is the same as cable problems and definitely not worth it.

The point of all this is to get the host adapter and the drive to properly communicate. Once it works, then you can do stuff like add the second drive, change the SCSI ids, change host adapter settings or drive jumpers to optimize communication.

If you've replaced the cable/terminator - Converter/carrier and set all the settings to defaults the the odds are that you simply have a bad drive.

calculated_risk

What is this storage?
Thanks Mark and Tannin. I have followed the steps that Mark listed. I could unhook the IBM (dead?) drive up and it did work. It's when I fdisked or formated to clean drive for new op system that I couldn't get it to work again. I can connect my good Fujitsu drive the same way and it works flawlessly.

Moving on , I am trying to get a grip on the compatability issues with using the following devices.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...o&language=English+US&cat=/Product/AHA-2940UW

with

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/29260b.pdf

Will I need to get this :http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2780191588&category=44960

or should I splurge for this adapter combined with the converter? I don't have a backplane.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2781195042&category=39969

I did the stupid thing and purchased the Seagate drive without realizing that it was a 80 pin LVD. I also noticed that there are no pci adapters available for 80 pin. Will the converter work and what type cable (ribbon or twisted pair) should I be using. Thanks again for the support.