Need SCSI Help

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I purchase a LSI Logic 'LSIU160' and the SCSI cable from Newegg. I've attached a Seagate Barracuda ST39236LC to the cable/controller combo. After getting everthing setup, I ran ATTO. Seems the best this drive can do is ~25MB/sec. Seagate specs say I should get 40MB/sec or 80/160 in LVD mode. I realize that I won't get 'specs', but it appears on ATTO that something is clamping it at 25MB/sec. I've been through all the settings I can find, added a jumper to get into 'sync' mode, and changed cables ( robbed from a server with Cheetahs in it. ) I was expecting ~33-35 MB/sec.
I then tried a Cheetah on this card. It only gets ~73 MB/sec. I was expecting ~ 125-135 MB/sec.
Granted the card was cheap, but am I paying for it now with poor performance?

Bozo :mrgrn:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting; I'm just barely making the minimum.

Further down it give the synconous transfer rate as 40MB/sec.

Most confusing :(

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Ah, you're talking about the speed of the BUS, not the actual drive here. That's the speed of the Ultra Wide (UW) 40MB/s bus it uses. U2W would be the 80MB/s and so on, but what the drive can push out onto the bus is another matter.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
You said you the tried a cheetach? What Cheetach? 73MB/s is very good in my opinion. For large data amounts, that's pretty much the STR of the drive, not too much interference from cache.

Perhaps you should try some other benchmarks also?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I tyried a Seagate X15 on this setup. Getting~ 73MB/sec. Seems slow. (for an X15)

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Isn't the upcoming X15.4 able to push about 90+MB/s on it's outer tracks? STR. Burst speeds are then limited by PCI bus etc...
Compared to that it's not bad, if we're talking about STR.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You are doing great.

The X 15 is running fine, and so is the other drive.

UW max is around 35-7 mb sec, real world.
LVD max is around 75 mb/sec, real world.
Haven't tried the 15.4, but my 15.3 maxed at 73 mb/sec.
s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Check that. That 15.3 maybe defective. You can send it to me, and I'll try it in Raid O, with the other one I have, and I'm sure you'll find it's defective.

:wink:

s

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess my expectations were too high. I tested a WD400JB and it averages 49 MB/sec. Thought the SCSI drives would smoke it. The X15 did, but I was expecting over 100MB/sec.

But, the better access times seem to make up for the slower speeds. This is more of a percieved 'feel' than hard numbers.

All the testing was done in the same computer; just switched drives in and out.

Sure did learn a lot about SCSI too.

Thanks for all your help :D