Nero V6.3 Out

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
Just in case you weren't looking this weekend, Nero Ultra version 6.3.0.0 was released for all of those users of 6.0.0.23 (or earlier, but not 5.x) to upgrade to. With V6.3 casting its long shadow over the CD-R/W and DVD+-R/W landscape, one would have to guess they are trying to stay Ahead of the competition. :idea: Of course, it's really not too hard to stay Ahead of the hopelessly flawed Easy CD Crater 6 these days.

http://www.ahead.de/en/nero-up.php

LATEST VERSION NUMBERS:
Nero BackItUp 1.2.0.1
Nero Burning ROM 6.3.0.0
Nero CD-DVD Speed 2.0.10.2
Nero Cover Designer 2.3.0.4
Nero Express 6.3.0.0
Nero ImageDrive 2.25.0.1
Nero InfoTool 2.0.7.0
Nero Media Player 1.4.0.16
NeroMIX 1.4.0.16
Nero Recode 2.0.0.7
Nero ShowTime 1.5.0.4
Nero SoundTrax 1.0.0.18
Nero StartSmart 1.0.1.1
NeroVision Express 2.1.0.3
Nero Wave Editor 2.0.0.22
InCD 4.1.0.0

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
anybody else really dislike nero 6?

it puts itself in high priority, which annoys me as it makes ther processes run slowly... it also uses up 80MB RAM just burning an audio CD... seems pretty bloated to me.

It has ran reletively poorly on both the 1700+ w/ VIA mobo and the current 2400+ rated CPU and SiS combination.

Not only has it managed to slow down the rest of the system, it has managed to not even work as well itself and I notice my CD burner's buffer often going down to less than half full when any other burning software keeps it above 95% throughout the burn.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That could also be Nero being more accurate. :)

I don't have much of an opinion on 5.5 v. 6. But I don't like Sonic MyDVD and I REALLY don't like CD Creator (which has the slight problem of having a million different OEM versions that do different things depending on what the OEM paid for. e.g. Dell's version won't do video DVDs but it'll write a JPG slideshow DVD).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
somehow I doubt that nero 6.x is more accurate than nero 5.x, Alcohol, CD-R win, and cloneCD... and any other burning software I've used (atleast 2-5 more)

Nero 6 is just plain slow. Nero 5.5 is zippy. I do, however like the extra features of 6.... but I dont think the price tag is worth it... I'll probably go back to 5.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hmm... I gave 6 another shot and it seems to be fine as long as I dont use the nero smart start feature. However, that was one of the thigns I liked best about 6.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
blakerwry said:
...it seems to be fine as long as I dont use the nero smart start feature. However, that was one of the thigns I liked best about 6.
Isn't "Smart Start" something for dumb people? It actually isn't very smart to run Smart Start.