Netgear Wireless Kits w/ rebate at Amazon

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
From Ben's Bargains:
Amazon.com has the Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit (WGR614 and WG511) for $75 - $25 rebate [Exp 1/31] = $50 with free shipping.

Amazon.com has the Netgear WGTB511T 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router and PC Card Kit consisting of the WGT624 Router + WG511T Card for $95 - $35 rebate [Exp 1/31] = $60 with free shipping

In this thread, Fushigi seems to be happy with his Netgear WGTB511T 108 Mbps. (Last update March 12, 2004)

But in this thread, Handruin is quite frustrated with his Netgear WGTB511T 108 Mbps. (Last update Aug. 25, 2004)

Merc has recommended Netgear in Fushigi's thread, but has dissed them in Handruin's.

Howell seems to indicate a thumbs-up in Handruin's thread.

So what's the long-term verdict, gentlemen?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I had sold my 624 and replaced it with the 634 to gain the USB drive support. The latest 634 firmware boosted signal strength and connection stability for my wife's PC, which used the 311T PCI card. My coworker is still using the 624, but it only gets used for wireless when her daughter is home form college.

About 99% of the time I use my laptop in my den so I've just been connecting it to the router directly & not using the WG511T card.

I've still got no problems with the router nor any of the adapter cards I'm using.

Handruin

Administrator
My router works fine with the 108 disabled. Lately I've had little to no issues when my WG624 is set to 11&54 mode. I was also having issues until recently with the config utility for the 511T wireless card because my laptop is for work, and my domain account does not have full admin privileges. Because of this, I was not able to change the settings to configure WPA and an SSID...it was a real PITA. Their new beta drivers solved this issue, so they've redeemed themselves so far.

Last I checked (few days ago) they had no newer firmware for my WG624. My router may be defective as some one mentioned in one of the other threads related to netgears products.

I bought the netgear based on a few reviews and also by word of mouth. My problems may be an isolated issue, so you may be fine if you get this unit. As of right now I'm happy that the router works with 54G and 11B, so I haven't yet called/asked for an RMA (although I should since I paid for the 108 abilities).

For what it's worth, Laura uses her Dell laptop with an integrated Intel 54G card and she's yet to have any problems with my router. She's stayed connected for hours on end. If she was having issues, I'd be the first to hear about it.

I'm not sure if my info helps your decision, or confuses you more, I'm just trying to be fair with my information. I clearly realize one bad product isn't a complete indication of the entire company and all related products.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I don't have that model but my netgear and those I installed are working without issue. I've got the MR814v2.

If anything bad, I can say that netgear probably releases their products too earlier and fixes stuff in later revisions. But their later revisions seems to be work fine.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Will Rickards said:
I don't have that model but my netgear and those I installed are working without issue. I've got the MR814v2.

If anything bad, I can say that netgear probably releases their products too earlier and fixes stuff in later revisions. But their later revisions seems to be work fine.

agreed, they need to atleast manufatcure good hardware and work on the software later instead of making several hardware revisions of which the firmware cannot be intermixed.

I have had good luck with my Netgear MR814v2 wireless AP and a generic 802.11b card as well as a linksys .b card, I would buy another netgear.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've had good and bad experiences with the 624 and 634 models, namely with poor range, more frequent need for reboots and admin interface weirdness with Firefox. But I have to say that they don't seem to break. The reliability of the Linksys units is questionable but while they work, they work very well.

Netgear APs are just another example of computer hardware and varying degrees of suck.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I dunno if you guys know this but the 814v2 can be flashed with the firmware for the 814v3 (despite what the Netgear site says), giving you WPA capability.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Pradeep said:
I dunno if you guys know this but the 814v2 can be flashed with the firmware for the 814v3 (despite what the Netgear site says), giving you WPA capability.

ohh.. wow... thanks. Might try that... however my card doesnt support WPA.. so maybe I shouldnt bother... Any specific version of the v3 firmware?

Handruin

Administrator
I hate to scare you mubs, but I've found a problem thread for the WGT624.

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=1238

I've joined in and added to the list of complaints. It seems as though my Netgear router isn't a fluke incident. I started having some major reboots last night, so I decided to write in on their thread. Seems a few of the people who've tried going through support are getting scripted support and no real help.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for the update, Handruin.

I don't desperately need to buy this stuff, but am keeping an eye open for a good deal. After seeing such mixed reviews for Netgear and Belkin, I've decided I'll stick with Linksys. Linksys seems to have a short life (~15 - 18 months), but while they're alive, they seem to work well.

But feedback such as yours is always good to have, and may save someone else from a headache.

Handruin

Administrator
If I can save you and anyone else the trouble I'm going through with this unit, it's worth writing about the issues.

I'm not that ecstatic about Linksys routers either. Part of the reason I bought the Netgear was due to my non-wireles linksys 4-port router locking up on me. Granted I've been using it for a couple years non-stop. It might be exactly what you spoke of...it worked great, but only for a short time.

I don't know what other options there are. I'd be willing to pay for a better unit if it just worked as advertised.

I also read in Netgear's support forums that the WG511T PCMCIA card has issues with windows 2000. I've been having these issues where I can't get the card to establish a connection to the AP prior to logging onto a domain. I have to logon locally, wait for it to conect, then logoff and try the domain connection again. (A real PITA on a slow laptop)

Apparently it's a known issue at netgear, but they didn't bother to tell anyone. One guy posted this information on their forum after he called the tech support. Another response said the card works fine under XP...so keep that in mind if you wanted to use this card under win2k. :)

Seems I struck out on both the router and the PCMCIA card.