Netzero (arg) and Firefox

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Someone needs to shoot whoever started NetZero. . .
I didn't like it with IE because I can't change the homepage. Now, with Firefox, I can't get it to give up IE and switch to Firefox when it starts up. So I have to close the IE window and open Firefox every time I connect. That sure does get old. I don't suppose anyone knows of a solution?

Rod

CraigLC

What is this storage?
Usually if it doesnt let you change your home page it is because it writes something in the registry. I Usually check the registry for entries matching the web page address exactly...then I delete them.

I have never used firefox but I would assume its a file associaition thing. Has to be a setting somewhere fir default web browser...unfortunately I cant help with that one

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
What's Netzero? It sounds nasty. Lots of spyware does that stuff. Any legitimate app that does it would be high up on my "I don't trust this crud" list, right next to Realplayer, Quicktime, Kaza, and the like.

RWIndiana

I'm beginning to think NetZero is just adware that you have to pay for. Very low price in Internet access, but you are forced to watch a movie advertizement while it is dialing. If you try to dial a connection directly rather than connecting through their software, well, it simply doesn't work. Is there any other ISP that you guys could recommend? Preferably one that is not more than $15 a month, and that could be accessed locally from most anywhere in the country. This is what I like about NetZero (probably the only thing I like about it), I can access it from just about anywhere in the U.S. that I happen to be, and it is not long-distance.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Rod

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you don't plan to use IE at all, find iexplore.exe and change its NTFS execute permission to "deny" for the Everyone group.

That will kill it, but system-level things that still need to use it, like MMCs and Automatic Systemp Update will still function.

RWIndiana

Thanks merc! That worked to keep IE from opening, though FireFox still asks me to set it as the default browser each time I open it. I guess I can just turn that off. I can still access IE by opening a folder and typing in a web address, so I can still use it if I need it. I like IE for Hotmail because of the text editing feature.

RWIndiana

Well that's embarrassing. Can anyone tell me how to change the color of my signature?

Handruin

Administrator
Try using the UBB tags and (change values to whatever fits your needs).

RWIndiana

Thank you Handruin. I didn't realize it would change the ones posted previously. Cool.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
There are plenty of dial-up ISPs that are as cheap as netzero.
I used to use joi internet and was very pleased. It was $9.95/month if you are paying monthly (which I did) but it can be as cheap as $6.49/month if you pay for 12 months at a time.