Neverwinter Nights

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Anyone else have/play this game?
The reason I ask is that I went to a LAN party to be the paid-support guy (on-the-spot upgrades/troubleshooting/CD Copier/game-cracker/no-beer for the young-uns enforcer). I was expecting to see people play lots of different stuff, and indeed there was early talk of UT2003 or CS or Worms or DiabloII, but then someone started NWN.

... and 16 hours later, 30-odd people were STILL playing NWN. The couple other times I've been to such events, there were at least few different games going at the same time. Never seen a game absorb every one like that.

That game looks frickin' awesome.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
Anyone else have/play this game?
The reason I ask is that I went to a LAN party to be the paid-support guy (on-the-spot upgrades/troubleshooting/CD Copier/game-cracker/no-beer for the young-uns enforcer). I was expecting to see people play lots of different stuff, and indeed there was early talk of UT2003 or CS or Worms or DiabloII, but then someone started NWN.

... and 16 hours later, 30-odd people were STILL playing NWN. The couple other times I've been to such events, there were at least few different games going at the same time. Never seen a game absorb every one like that.

That game looks frickin' awesome.

From what I can tell from the box at the store and online stuff it does look cool. I think it is very new. A couple weeks ago the website implied that it was still in beta.

It looks to be a D&D type game where one of the players can actually make the world and introduce monsters at will. Can you confirm?

Handruin

Administrator
Neverwinter Nights (NWN) is a computer game set in a huge medieval fantasy world of Dungeons and Dragons. This role-playing game (RPG) puts you at the center of an epic tale of faith, war, and betrayal

If I'm not mistaken, I believe NWN is based on the forgotten realms. I also found on their website: "Neverwinter Nights was released in North America on June 18, 2002."

I think this sounds awesome:

"Neverwinter Nights can be played online with up to 64 friends, all sharing in the adventure. You can organize and run your own adventures through the role of the Dungeon Master and control all the monsters, creatures and characters your friends meet as they journey on their quest. A powerful piece of software that is included with Neverwinter Nights, the DM Client, allows nearly unlimited control for running your own adventures for your friends."

Being the DM sounds like a fun role for an online game.

Merc, it looks like they are working on a Linux client for NWN:

http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/linuxclient.html

Mercutio

1. The people with GF3s and ATI8500s did NOT have smooth gameplay @ 800x600 with all the doodads turned on. Whether they noticed or not is another matter (most of them didn't).

2. Yes, there's a DM console that can be operated in real time. The guy who was running it basically dropped extra encounters in whenever things weren't moving along. He also added items, healed people, teleported people who were being annoying into difficult fights and warned the players of really obnoxious traps. The only thing he couldn't do while people were playing was add more rooms and stuff to the maps (there's an external program for that).

3. I didn't get to play anything but it looked really frickin' cool.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I've been playing the SP campaign in my spare time. The game is enormous... MP is even more interesting!

Mercutio

I finally went out and bought it this weekend. It is a cool game. No doubt about it. Runs OK on a 128MB 9000 Pro - not so well when there are 15 or so monsters on the screen. I'm going to try to solo it through the single player game.

honold

Storage is cool
from the reviews on extended play (techtv game review show) and ign, the single player is apparently 'ok' but not terribly ambitious - the real value lies in the multiplayer/dm mode (custom campaigns)

ghostwheel

What is this storage?
For anyone who plays this game (especially SP campaigns), I highly suggest to install Pausanias/Auldar AI and improved henchmen module.

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=161807&forum=42

http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewforum.html?forum=2368&gid=1561

Basically you will receive much better monster AI (in latest beta version monsters finally learned how to sneak), ability to control henchman inventory and more realistic skill choices for henchmans and familiars. Basically, IMHO, one of the most importants NWN modules out there.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Who has played Morrowind?
Do you prefer Neverwinter or Morrowind? Some screenshots I saw of the latter are really impressive...

Mercutio

My revised opinion of NWN: It's a great game, except when it's crashing. Which it does, every once in awhile. Can't imagine how bad it was BEFORE the current patchlevel.

The best part is re-playing all the fantastic 1st edition ad&d (White Plume Mountain, Tomb of Horrors) modules that have been converted to NWN.

ghostwheel

What is this storage?
Prof.Wizard said:
Who has played Morrowind?
Do you prefer Neverwinter or Morrowind? Some screenshots I saw of the latter are really impressive...

For me I prefer MW just a little bit more. Probably because of its openness and the fact that everything is seamlessly integrated into one world. But I do own, like and play both of them (time permitting of course).

Main difference - in NWN i have just AI, henchmen and camera modules installed for gameplay - rest of modules are just different scenarios - in other words content that is independent from each other. So you have lots of small independent adventures.

In Morrowind I have huge number of plugins installed by now - including quite big number of gameplay-affecting plugins (e.g. marksmanship mod) and fair number of content plugins (like Moon Spawn). The beauty of it - it is still one world where you play in - something that does not exist in NWN.

ghostwheel

What is this storage?
I completely forgot to mention - I compared Morrowind and NWN from single-player perspective. You have to take into account that Morrowind does not have any multiplayer while multiplayer is very essential to NWN. It's just I am not interested in multiplayer (in my opinion it is viable only if you have group of friends who interested in playing same game - all mine friends not really interested in RPG games).