New CD not being recognized

Radboy

What is this storage?
Hi. Happy new year.

A friend has a new CD burner (Plextor Premium). He attempted to installed a 2-CD prgm. But when it came time to insert CD #2, Windows would not recognize it. It thought CD #1 was still in the drive. The installer prgm kept displaying the message, "Please insert CD #2 and click 'okay'".

I thied the following things:

* right-click on cd in 'my computer' and select 'eject'.
* 'refresh' in my computer.
* close & re-open 'my computer'
* combinations of all above.

the *only* thing that works is a RE-BOOT. then it will see/recognize the other cd just fine (there's nothing physicall wrong with the disc. it does this with ALL cds).

Any ideas/tweaks to get windows to recognize another cd when inserted into the drive?

Have latest firmware/drivers/patches/updates.

Windows XP Pro.

No other cd related problems.

TIA.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Very probably you have an incompatibility between the drive and copy protection on the discs in question. There's probably a crack out there for whatever the protection is, and there are a number of programs (ClonyXXL, Alcohol 120%) that can break such protections so the discs can be copied in a non-defective manner.

You've probably done all you can with that single drive. You might try the same thing with a different (brand) drive, to see if the problem can be replicated. If it happens on other drives, I think your friend needs to talk to someone about a refund on his purchase.

Radboy

What is this storage?
I can burn just fine. That's not the problem. The problem is that Windows sees the previous disc (#1) even tho the new one (#2) is inserted into the drive. Which affects the ability to install multi-cd programs.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I wasn't suggesting you had a problem with burning; I was suggesting that copy protection on the disc might not be compatible with the drive.

Radboy

What is this storage?
Yeah, the freaks. I'm sure they'll have a answer.

I don't think it's related to copy-protection tho, cuz it happens even with CDs that aren't copy protected .. ones that I make myself.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Radboy said:
I don't think it's related to copy-protection tho, cuz it happens even with CDs that aren't copy protected .. ones that I make myself.

What happens when you use a CD you've made yourself?

When you've just started up XP, from what you've written it seems you're saying that you can only read one CD, and then you have to reboot your computer in order to do read another one. But it's not entirely clear from what you've written.

If that's the case, what exactly happens when you use a CD you've written yourself? Let's leave commercial CDs out of it for now because that really could be a copy protection issue. Presumably the first CD shows up fine in Explorer. But what about the next CD you try? Do you get an error message (if so, what's the exact text, including the title bar text?), a blank file listing, or what?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Did you check Device Manager to see how the second CD is being recognized and its settings? Conflicts?

While in Device Manager, you might also want to check the IDE bus set up.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Do you have the Master/Slave jumper set correctly on the new drive?

Radboy

What is this storage?
Yeah, jumpers seem to be set correctly:

1. primary master = boot drive (seagate 120gb 7200.7)
2. secondary master = cd-rom.burner (plextor premium)

no other ide devices.

yes, you can "see" a cdrom if/when you boot, but not when swapping.

if you reboot with a different cd, it will see the new cd-rom.

doesn't matter what cd it is (copyright protected or not).

No yellow in device mgr.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Anything like InCD running in the background?

How about any virtual drives running?

Radboy

What is this storage?
The Plextor came with a tool set, called PlexTools. That's the only "CD" thingie installed. Maybe it has put a wall, so to speak, between the burner & Windows. ??

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I suspect that this might be the same thing that I have. My Windows 2000 install (and, now that I come to think of it, my old install as well) completely refuses to recognise that I've changed a CD in the drive.

This applies no matter what: you can press any button, click any function, refresh a million times, but the volume name as recognised by W2K remains resolutely untouched. The actual files on the new CD, I hasten to add, are perfectly readable, but the volume name reported by Windows remains the volume that was insereted at boot time.

I've had several different physical drives installed over the years, readers and burners, various brands, and it applies to all of them.

My suspicion is that this condition is normal with Windows 2000 if you have switched the "auto insert notification" off - i.e., disabled that asinine autoplay function. It is, in other words, simply the usual bizarre Microsoft mix of equal parts arrogance and incompetence.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You might look at Plextors site for a firmware upgrade or drivers. Don't know if it will help, but it's worth a shot.

Also, installing SP4 might help if you haven't yet.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i agree that it sounds like auto insert notification has been turned off.

Note, this is different than "auto play". In that auto insert notificatoin checks for any newly inserted disks and updates the information in explorer, etc.

Auto play relies on auto insert notification, but goes one step further and when a new disk is inserted it either plays it using the autorun file on the CD or (in XP) brings up a menu asking you what you'd like to do with the disk.

In win9x disabling auto insert notification worked great for me... but I've never had good luck with it in NT based OS's.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
it's just a different registry entry.. My main problem was that auto insert notification caused a 1-2 second pause when inserting a CD. I thought the problemw as auto play, but it was infact the auto insert notification.

Here's 2 differet ways that I found easily via google.

Turn Off CD Auto Play Win2000
Resource: Windows tips and tricks
By: Paul Molyneux

To disable AutoPlay

1.. Double-click My Computer.
2.. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the File
Types tab.
3.. In Registered file types, click AudioCD, and then click Advanced.
4.. In Actions, click Play, and then click Set Default.

Note:
a.. You can temporarily disable AutoPlay by pressing SHIFT while you
insert an audio CD.
b.. Repeating steps 1 through 4 enables AutoPlay.
c.. When Play is displayed in bold, AutoPlay is enabled. When Play is
not displayed in bold, AutoPlay is disabled.

Turn Off CD Auto Play Win2000 the Microsoft way

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

2. Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom

3. To disable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 0 (zero). To enable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 1.
4. Restart your computer.

NOTE: This method disables automatically running CD-ROMs. If you want to disable automatically running CD-ROMs depending on the CD that you insert in the CD-ROM drive, you can press and hold down one of the SHIFT key while you insert the CD.
Additional Information
There are two other registry keys that can affect this functionality:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095

-and-

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095

The correct value for each is 0x00000095.

Radboy

What is this storage?
Yes, what Tannin said, exactly. Misery loves company. Yes, you can still read/access the files on the new CD fine. It's just that the volume name doesn't change.

The problem is that an installer program that contins more than one CD (such as a game) will look at that volume name. If it sees "CD1", it will keep saying "Insert CD #2", even tho CD #2 is in the dang drive and the files are accessable and readable/usuable.

I talking about WXP Pro, SP1, all the latest patches, etc.

Yes, all that auto-insert cr@p is turned off. There are several ripping & burning apps installed. One of them (maybe more) suggested that it be turned off, and offered to turn it off for me. Which I did.

But I don't want that stuff turned on.

Do you suggest I use the registry tweaks mentioned here? I don't want to screw up his computer.

Burning apps are Alcohol 120%, Blindread/write suite, Nero, CDRWin, FireBurner .. maybe a few others.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Radboy said:
Burning apps are Alcohol 120%, Blindread/write suite

Its either one of the two. In Alcohol, under emulation options, try the setting "Ignore media type".