New Dell E193FP 19" LCD Flat Panel Monitor

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hi Mark-
I'm thinking about it. Does it support a DVI connection or VGA or both?
Thanks,
C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think you did a nice job with the ad. I really like the shipping calculator. I always forget to use it or I just use a flat rate for all of the USA because I don't usually know the box size I'll end up using to ship.

I don't think any changes to your ad are needed, but, If I were to change anything, I'd include some verbage like this:
Buyer pre-pays high bid + shipping cost (as determined by provided shipping calculator). PayPal payment is preferred but I also accept money orders and checks. Checks require 10 days to clear before shipment.

I think accepting checks and MOs give you more potential bidders that may get you more $ for your merchandise. Also, if you cannot accept credit card payments through PayPal, be sure to specify it.

Good luck eBaying! I'm going to be going for a DVI input LCD whenever I get one so I won't be bidding on yours. :(

C

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I had already upgraded my paypal account to a business account to allow credit cards for these sales. the 2.9% fee is not enough to make/break a sale and credit cards definately increase the potential market size.

I specificly choose not to accept money orders/checks. While it will increase the market sized, it also adds a whole set of new risks for non-payment along with a signifigent time delay to complete the transaction. Here I judged the risk higher than the benefit. Maybe I'm wrong though - I bow to the more experianced.

The shipping calculator works well for me but then I have known boxes and known weights. Because they are in the original boxes I can simply ship using them. There is nothing stopping you from boxing your stuff up before the sale and then simply slapping labels on the boxes. Just make sure that the boxes contents are labeled so that you don't have to open something up to find out what is in the box.

I think DVI is the way to go for quality. Removing multiple DAC's from the image source (one from the video card, and one from the monitor)can't help but improve the quality of the signals. That being said, high quality DAC's can produce very little distortion and from the reviews, I would say these have very high quality DAC's.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually, if you mark PayPal as a method of payment, you *must* accept credit cards. Otherwise, you should mark "other" as a method of payment and state in the auction that you accept non-credit card PayPal.

For reasons stated elsewhere here, I wouldn't accept PayPal, especially with credit cards. It's quite easy for someone to pay via credit card and then thirty to sixty days down the line dispute the charge -- and your money will be gone.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess I've just been getting lucky then because I have not been doing that with my past few auctions and haven't had any issues.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
You got a good price for those, especially since they could be had for $339 from Dell after dellf coupon :)

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I agree, I got good prices: They could have bought them from Dell cheaper and not pay shipping either. As it is, I got two 3.2 P4 8400's for folding at aprox $200 each by selling the unneeded freebe stuff ( the monitors) that Dell sent me with the machines.

Hey, If I can be assured to get people to pay higher than what Dell sells them for then I have a new business. I'm willing to be a middle-man and to collect undeserved profit.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Next time I see a deal like that, I'll buy 5 (the amount that their rebates allow) and then sell the machines too.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Speaking of good deals on 19" LCDs...

I found this on Newegg today.

Never heard of the brand but the specs look AWFULLY nice for a desktop monitor (700:1 contrast, 170 degree viewing angle, DVI support), and the price is nothing to complain about, either.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Speaking of good deals on 19" LCDs...

I found this on Newegg today.

Never heard of the brand but the specs look AWFULLY nice for a desktop monitor (700:1 contrast, 170 degree viewing angle, DVI support), and the price is nothing to complain about, either.

One of my distributors has been trying to push Advueu monitors for some time now. I just don't feel inclined to try them out, especially considering there are plenty of other brands at my disposal.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I doubt there are too many manufacturers of the actual panels so I wonder if it might be a good thing to try...

Handruin

Administrator
The lower response is probably why it has decent viewing angle. I read somewhere (maybe here) that in order to improve response, the viewing angle takes a hit because the crystals are aligned differently. The LCD screen is probably made by the same company as some of the other major vendors.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
"Dead Pixels Policy: Replacement or Refund for 8 or more DEAD PIXELS ONLY!"

No thanks. I'm fond of Dell's now 21 day no worries return period for LCDs.

Jimshady

What is this storage?
Dead pixels are just not acceptable. One dead pixel would shit me. Since when has the consumer not cared about inferior product?

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Jimshady said:
Dead pixels are just not acceptable. One dead pixel would shit me. Since when has the consumer not cared about inferior product?
[url=http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/css/monitortechguide/index09.htm said:
Nec-Mitsubishi[/url]]In the interest of setting a standard for allowable pixel faults in a display for manufacturers, an ISO specification (ISO 13406-2) was established. The specification determined four fault classes of LCD displays, with each having a certain number of pixel faults allowed. Class 1 LCD displays are considered "perfect," allowing zero pixel or sub-pixel faults. However, this standard has been viewed as virtually impossible or much too costly for LCD display manufacturers to consider for mass production. Class 2, which allows for five pixel or sub-pixel faults, has been an extremely difficult standard for manufacturers to achieve in mass production but a select few have managed to be certified. This groundbreaking achievement is a major breakthrough in the visual display industry and has set the bar for others to follow. Consumers should be aware, though, that Class 2 displays have been certified according to manufacturing standards and do not reveal pixel faults to the untrained human eye. Remember that each pixel, or dot, on a color LCD is actually made up of 3 sub-pixels--one for red, one for green and one for blue. On an 18" LCD display, the typical resolution is 1280 x 1024, so there are 1280 x 1024 x 3 sub-pixels, or 3.9 million sub-pixels--each of which measures less than 0.28mm in height and 0.09mm in width. For comparison purposes, the finest tip of a mechanical pencil designed for precision drafting work is often 0.3mm, so a sub-pixel at 0.09mm is less than one-third of this width and barely perceptible to the naked eye in most working environments.
IIRC Dell sells Class 1 LCDs, which are nearly twice as expensive when compared to Class 2 counterparts.

Cheers,

Jan