New Notebook

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Hi all. I'm looking for the most compact and lightweight notebook Pentium M around 1.6 MHz with an internal DVD±RW and ~ 12" display. It needs to support 1GB RAM and use standard, easily interchanged 2.5" notebook drives. All I seem to find are the too large thin and light machines or the tiny PM ULV machines which are too slow for processing files from a 16.7 megapixel body. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
To make it compact and weigh under around 4 pounds, you'll have to sacrifice the internal optical drive. If you can do that you'll have many choices, like the Dell Latitude D400. Otherwise, you'll be 'stuck' with a 14"+ screen and a larger (4.5 pound+) unit (Latitude D505 or D600). (I only mentioned Dells as they are what I'm most familiar with. I'm sure IBM, etc. have equivalents.)

IMO unless you really need an internal optical drive, I'd go external and go for the largest HD the unit offers. For trips where you won't fill the HD you'll save the weight. Another alternative while travelling would be a supplemental external 2.5" HD. Less bulk & weight than an optical.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
For my company, Inspirons have been less than spectacular when it comes to reliability. Hence, we standardized on the Latitude lineup and I didn't bother to check out Inspirons.

That said, I do know a couple of people who have purchased Inspirons through the company discount plan and haven't had any issues that they've reported.

As with any laptop, I would include a 3-year warranty in the purchase price to help safeguard against failures and accidents over the course of ownership.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
[quote="Fushigi"As with any laptop, I would include a 3-year warranty in the purchase price to help safeguard against failures and accidents over the course of ownership.[/quote]

Absolutely. Given the price of laptop spares, this is an essential.

Fujitsu seem to have a nice line in small-form laptops, BTW. Might be worth checking out, LunarMist.