question New number and call forwarding?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
My wife and I have had our current phone numbers for 13 years. We're moving to a different area code and want to get local phone numbers but we're not ready to give up our old numbers. I'm also planning on switching us from AT&T to Verizon. We'd like to overlap the new and old numbers if possible. I'd prefer not to have two cell phone bills for a few months and don't want to carry two physical phones. Is setting up call forwarding on the old account going to be the best way of doing this?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Forwarding is the way you want to go.

If you don't want 2 cell phone bills you could port your old number to goggle voice or a VoIP provider or move the number to a pay as you go cell phone that allows forwarding. You could also move the number to another cheap phone on your new family plan and forward.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I had Google voice port my parents' old land line number. It's an easy number to remember. That number and my office phone number (Vocalocity, now a Vonage subsidiary) both just forward to my cell. It works great, though I'm always a little worried that Google will decide to up and drop Google Voice. like it has other projects.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Google Voice will give you one in the same area code. You can have it forward calls to another number.