New PCI slots (3G10)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I think that post trys to confuse a little bit by listing the bandwidth per pin of AGP, PCI, etc and then giving the full bandwidth (of all pins) in the x16 and x1 slots.... but it looks like PCI express will be a big benefit over PCI for any high end computer (I still think that PCI+AGP is overkill for many of the PC's being sold today)

The post mentioned power saving features, but didnt say what they were.. it also mentioned an increased voltage (I only have to think this is incorrect considering the current trend of the past several years of I/O to use lower voltages) .. maybe the writer thought it sounded better than increased amperage or wattage...

I almost have to wonder if there is a need for PCI express on the majority of desktops.. will the applications and operating systems used by the masses of the future require such a powerfull base system?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
blakerwry said:
I almost have to wonder if there is a need for PCI express on the majority of desktops.. will the applications and operating systems used by the masses of the future require such a powerfull base system?

Indeed there will. I saw a combination of a future Windows release (beyond Longhorn) with a future Microsoft map software. Everything was very graphic oriented. The combination of translucent, semi-translucent, and solid layers plus 3-D modeling really becomes system intensive.