New topics...

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
At some point, should this become the default BBS after the 28th, how about adding "Technical Support" and "For Sale or Trade" forums? Mark brought up a good point of how the tech support over at SR dropped in quality once the support forum was combined with the computer forum.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Sounds like a good idea to me. Personally, I preffered the tech support in the general area, but (so far as I am concerned) if Mark thinks Tech Support is better on its own, then so be it!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I prefer tech support in the general section too, to some extent volume of answers help, and that worked when there are lots of tech people helping relative to newbie's. What I noticed at SR was that it started out very good but then the quality slowly decreased. I think that is because when there are lots of newbie's relative to the tech people then the tech people get drowned out by the inexperianced. A question needs one good answer not one good answer and 15 poor ones. Volume matters because sometimes there is no one good answer but rather 4-5 medium answers and one of the group points in the right direction.

Mark Turner

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I take your point Mark.

I guess another factor is that a lot of the more tech-aware people got tired of doing the same answer to the same question over and over - I know I did, though you never seemed to mind - and stopped replying quite so often as they used to.

When TS had its own area, I used to discipline myself to slip over there every now and then and try to do three or four answers. Or else I'd get really bored if the General talk was all about subjects I had no interest in, and trawl TS looking for something I could contribute to.

Once TS slipped into general, I certainly saw more of the queries, but probably answered less of them - particularly as I mostly used to try to answer threads with no replies (I always feel sorry for someone who is posting and getting no replies), and once TS merged into General, these became rare. But, as you say, the quality of the replies was often rather lacking.