New TV ideas

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi Everyone,

I must start this post with, we are having a royal PITA time with electronics recently, and am getting sick of having to replace our stuff...

Anyway, long story short, our current LG 42" Plasma TV (which is a 480p panel) decided to not play nice anymore. It's 3.5yr old, and the internal glass plate has developed a crack in it. Talking to some TV sales people today, they acknowledged that some old Plasma TVs, due to the heat the emit, bake the inner glass panel and after 4-5 yrs the glass becomes brittle and can collapse under their own weight or only need a very small impact to crack the glass. :( It's rare, but does happen.

So we are looking at a new TV for the main room. My wife is insisting on keeping to the 40-42" size, but in our budget range (absolute max AU$700), but I'm seeing better deals in the 32-37" size range.

In saying that we have narrowed down to a few models:

1. Sharp 40" Aquos LC40L500X 50Hz LCD TV - 1920x1080, 50Hz, 3yr warranty for AU$697.
2. LG 42" Plasma (42PT250) - 1024x768 res, 3M:1 Contrast, 1500cd/m2 brightness, 600Hz subdrive, 1 yr warranty for AU$600.
3. AWA 42" FullHD LCD TV - 1920x1080, 50Hz, 2500:1 Contrast, 470 cd/m2 brightness, 3yr warranty for $597. (on sale at the moment for $497 instore).

And other options from el-cheapo brands like TCL, Soniq, etc.

We only have need for 2x HDMI ports, 1 for our BR-Player, and 1 spare (most likely for a Wii in future if Santa is nice to us). Most TV watching is either kids programs or the occasional movie at night - little sport or other fast action shows.

While the 2x FullHD LCD TV options seem very appealing due to the resolution on offer, they seem to lack something in other areas. While the LG being only a 1024x768 panel (in a 16:9 format), the colour quality and contrast was far better than the other 2. My biggest complaint, was that in each store we visited (with 1 exception - the local Sony Centre) ran ALL TVs off a component input, and not a HDMI input. That included the big 60" FullHD TVs (WTF, why are they castrating the input option to 576i, when they can display 1080p via HDMI). Also few TVs had been calibrated correctly for the environment, so colours were washed out, blacks were grays, etc. But that rant over, it did make comparison of the models in store difficult.

Would it be worth to:
a. Consider a mid-range 32" model over an entry-level 40" model if price was the same. (The problem being most 32" models being offered a entry-level themselves and the mid-range 32" models are priced more than the 40-42" entry-level range).
b. Despite the lack of screen resolution in the LG Plasma, it's superior colour depth and contrast in respect to the same size entry level HD LCDs, should I even be considering the entry-level LCDs?
c. On LCD, should 100Hz panel be the minimum?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Sharp Aquos Range of TVs? What is Sharps' support service like?

We don't need/want 3D capability (my wife gets severe migraines from 3D), and no need for any of the Internet Enabled TV features. (The latter would be true in future, for when we replace this new one in 3-4yrs time). The power requirement is also a concern, as our old TV had a 320W rating, but all the ones listed above are between 180W and 240W, which is good, but I would like better - say <150W. (Which is something all 32" models seem to get).

Hope all that made some sense, and would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have an Aquos and don't have any particular complaints about it. I've never had to deal with their service department.

Personally, I'm not at all a fan of Plasma screens or all the power they use, and I'd rather have 1080p than 720p regardless. I'm not sure 120Hz display modes are worth the money. I've played with that setting on my TVs and I rarely see a visible improvement from having it on. I've heard it helps sports things a lot, but I don't care about sports things.

And I think there's a big enough difference between 40" and 32" that if the space were large enough to support a TV of that size, I'd go with the bigger option.

I'd also like to know where you're getting a Wii with an HDMI port.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
The wii doesn't do HDMI. It does component I think. 420p is its limit.
That said, we needed two HDMI one for the BR and one for the cable box.

I would not go down in TV size. Especially with the black bars on most movies.
I thought I wouldn't get black bars with my FullHD set, but there they are.

I bought a 3D panasonic plasma but don't really intend on using the 3D. The thinking according to HDguru.com was that in order to make the TV 3D the underlying panel had to be pretty good.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I have an Aquos and don't have any particular complaints about it. I've never had to deal with their service department.

Personally, I'm not at all a fan of Plasma screens or all the power they use, and I'd rather have 1080p than 720p regardless. I'm not sure 120Hz display modes are worth the money. I've played with that setting on my TVs and I rarely see a visible improvement from having it on. I've heard it helps sports things a lot, but I don't care about sports things.

And I think there's a big enough difference between 40" and 32" that if the space were large enough to support a TV of that size, I'd go with the bigger option.
Thanks for the feedback. I've only rarely seen the Sharp TVs in store, so they don't tend to be popular in these parts. (But if you want a Samsung, those things breed like rabbits).

I'm definitely considering the Sharp TV as the number 1 option...
I'd also like to know where you're getting a Wii with an HDMI port.
The next version of the Wii (called Wii U) will have HDMI - http://wii.net.au/wii-u-is-1080p-has-hdmi-out-internal-flash-memory-sd-and-usb-storage-support/

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Had our new TV delivered today, and spent more time fiddling with and adjusting the wall mount than actually setting up the TV. Managed to get a new Sony 40" LCD TV (KDL40CX52) for just under AU$700, including 5yr onsite warranty and free home delivery. (it's a 1080p 50Hz LCD TV, with 4x HDMI, 2x USB, has LAN and optional WiFi, has DLNA, IPTV, Skype and Facebook support).

Since our BR-Player is also a Sony, they both talk nice together and know we only need 1 remote to control both devices! :) Very impressed with it, and certainly better in image quality than the Sharp TV we were considering.

We also borrowed a WiFi adapter off the in-laws (since they aren't using it with their TV), and have been playing with YouTube, DLNA and browsing some of the IP TV channels - all worked without any problems. (Except DLNA support was limited to MPEG2 content for video - but not surprised with that one).

For their cheapest 40" TV, it certainly appears to be a very well thought out and solid unit. For those that do buy Sony products, it's one to consider.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That's a great price (TVs are one of the things that Aussies have to bend over to buy).

I was going to suggest Sony to you, but I'm no longer familiar with the models and you were too quick for me. I persuaded my neighbor to buy a Sony 55" LCD because a) they were using the same panels as Samsung (joint venture) but were cheaper and b) they're one of the few manufacturers prepared to sell you a genuine extended warranty (probably not much use to you because yours wasn't that expensive).

Stereodude

Not really a
I probably wouldn't have bought a Sharp. When I was last TV shopping a few years ago I didn't like the way they looked from the distance I wanted to view it from.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
When I went on the 3-TV spree in Q1, I could not figure out as much at the showrooms as I liked. Colors were all over the place and even Blue Ray did not look as I had hoped. Mostly I noted the unevenness of some models and there were a few differences in viewing angles. The Sony's looked pretty good, though there were not any good values at the time. Especially the 46' Samsung has been working out well for my purpose.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
LM, we had similar problems in deciding the most appropriate TV as well. It was shocking to see how poorly some TVs were setup instore, especially for some top-end models from Sony, LG and Samsung were being feed BR content via 576i component?

Maybe they couldn't afford to or spare to use a few of their $99 HDMI cables to drive the devices... (But it was assuming to see a saleman trying to sell a $140 1.5M HDMI cable to a lady when she obviously knew she only needed the $30 cable HDMI cable).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Most of the big box store staff are the uneducated salespeople types that regurgitate the specs until you want to scream. :frusty: I picked up the remote, aimed it at one and pushed the power button, but he did not get it. There are maybe one or two people in the stores who know anything.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Anyone know offhand of a small-ish inexpensive TV that handles DLNA video?

Not in the 21-26 size. However some 32" do, like the Sony 32CX520, Panasonic TH-L32C30A or LG 32LV3730. (AFAIK, none of the Samsungs do until you get 40"+).

Any reason not to get a Blu-ray player or one of the cheaper streaming boxes with DLNA instead, and use the existing TV if present? Certainly cheaper than a 32" TV.

The base model Sony BR player (BDP-S380) has DLNA and is around $110 via Amazon. LAN connectivity is standard, but for WLAN you need to buy the WiFi adapter from Sony. Other companies like LG, Panasonic are starting to do the same with their BR Players as well. (Since I know your dislike for S*ny).