Newegg is dead to me

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Have a look here, and here and here and here.

Notice anything?

Like maybe This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only?

That phrase appear on every single motherboard listed on newegg.com.

I don't know what anyone else sells or RMAs, but I see a lot of motherboards die in, say, the first 12 months of operation (by a lot I mean maybe one in eight or nine boards). And one of the great things about newegg has been the ease of returns and quickness of replacements.

Depending on the motherboard manufacturer, I've run into being charged for return shipping, RMAs that take months to complete, and RMAs that are never returned to me at all. I thought I was paying Newegg to deal with those issues, but I guess that I am not. Not any more, anyway.

Well, there's always Zipzoomfly, I guess.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah that kind of sucks. I found Newegg RMA to be easier than manufactuers for sure.

How long was/is their return policy, anyway? I've always done my Newegg RMA's within a week or two. Maybe my friend can RMA his Radeon 9500 Pro (OEM) that he got at Newegg about 13months ago or is that too long?

C

Mercutio

Newegg's direct RMA period is always 12 months.
An OEM video card probably has a couple years left though, from Sapphire or whomever.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
It's an ATI manufatured card which has 3 year warranty. Not sure how good their RMA service is though. Guess my bud will be finding out if he isn't too lazy (and just buys another card).

Mercutio

ATI's RMA service is fantastic, Clocker. When I RMA'd my 9700 AIW (fan died, card soon after) I got my replacement overnighted to me. Couldn't be happier with them.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have a feeling that Newegg started that policy because they were loosing out bigtime with the manufacturers not returning or taking forever on RMA's. Also if you remember Newegg used to sell a lot of refurbished white box motherboards (I bought a few) with no acessories at a much lower price than retail. I have a feeling that these were what they got back from RMA's so they were taking a hit there too. Not to mention the overhead they would have to have in place to track all the RMA's for each product or even each individual item if the manufacturer doesn't support bulk RMA's. Shipping too....