[news] 939 pin chip won't be compatible with 940 CPU

Handruin

Administrator
939 pin chip won't be compatible with 940 CPU

By Mike Magee: Thursday 21 August 2003, 16:25

WHEN AMD introduces its 3200+ (2GHz) Athlon 64 on the 23rd September, it will charge around $399 for the single channel DDR 754 pin model. In October, it will introduce a 3400+ version of the chip.
And its Athlon 64 FX, which is a 940 pin dual channel DDR chip, is expected to cost over $650, but will not use AMD's "PR" rating.

Meanwhile, the Athlon 64 FX with 939 pins will now launch at the end of the first quarter of next year, and we understand it won't now be compatible with the 940 pin version, meaning a motherboard change.

This chip is currently codenamed San Diego, and had been expected to be released in Q1 of next year. µ

News Source

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'll wait until AMD requires new motherboard/CPU technologies to support "Even Brand New-er Socket 754 chip, now with Enhanced OptiZone Petaband Extreme Technology, to the Maxx (TM, void where prohibited)" that doesn't work with all the non-Enchanced Optizone Petaband socket 754 CPUs, and then does the same thing again ("The Enhanced Optizone3: This time we mean it - to the Maxx"), and again ("OZ4: Judgement Day") every six months, before I complain AMD is getting all Intel-like.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Indeed:

Intel:

3 versions of the Socket370.

The P4: I've lost count.

The Xeon: even worse.

AMD doesn't look too bad. It is a new generation they are introducing after all, not like Intel and their bullcrap "oh we need to change voltage specs blah blah blah, hmm let's move one pin or add another".