[NEWS] Asus WinWifi AP

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Asus appears to be integrating 802.11B APs in its new motherboards.
That's the maybe-good news.

The bad news? They're XP-only for AP service, and software based, just like WinModems.

If you can stomach the picture of the guy in his boxer shorts that for some reason headlines the page, click on the link and check out the specs.

Link Source

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I dont see this as being much different from an integrated wifi card and then a software NAT package like ICS or sygate.

I wouldn't doubt if the "Asus" software is actually microsoft or some other companies softwre.

I think integrating wireless is a good step forward. I am a little surprised that we're seeing it so soon especially since it took so long for adoption of onboard 10/100 NICs.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
The computer would have to be on to function as an AP? I can't imagine why that would be useful. I'd get a separate AP for that.

How many devices can You have without an AP? More than two? Is there a certain reason to use an AP, besides the fact that it's used as a bridge to the "normal" cable network?

[url=http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/event/wifiHome/spec.html said:
"Link Source"[/url]]1) APs (access points) are expensive standalone devices that act as base stations to connect various computers wirelessly.

With the price premium of an Asus board and the wireless NIC (compared to a cheaper motherboard) one could buy an AP, aren't they priced at less than $60?

Cheers,

Jan