[NEWS] Carbon Thermal Paste To Help Minimize Overheating In

Handruin

Administrator
In comparative laser-flash testing, Chung's thermal paste--composed of carbon-filled organic material--performed better than the leading thermal pastes currently on the market. The results of the testing and the makeup Chung's paste will be described in a forthcoming issue of the journal Carbon.

"The invented material is superior to all other thermal pastes, including those involving exotic materials such as carbon nanotubes and diamond. It even significantly surpasses solder-the best material currently available-for improving the thermal contact between two surfaces," Chung says.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Sounds intruiguing. Might be something I would want to use for thermoelectric modules as well if the price is right. On the flip side if the two mating surfaces are well machined to a flatness of +-0.001" even standard thermal paste will give an thermal impedance of about 0.05°C/W per in² of surface area. If the processor has a contact area of 1 in² and the heat sink and processor are machined to proper tolerances then for a 75 watt heat load there will be only a ~4°C drop across the thermal grease interface. On the other hand, this new material can compensate for surfaces that are poorly machined and/or not flat better than thermal grease.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The stuff is suposed to be able to be manufactured cheaply (acording to the link)

I found it intersting that the article said that it was better than even solder.