[NEWS] - Command queuing at Tom's

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Was there some measurement with queuing on versus off, or did I miss it?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Perhaps the objective of the article is a bit skewed, but I believe Tom was just attempting to show how the top two SATA drives were fulfilling Command Queueing. Seagate is using the newly outlined specification from SATAII called Native Command Queueing, whereas Western Digital is using the tried-and-true legacy method of Tagged Command Queueing. They are very similar, except TCQ has extra overhead at the hardware level (which can be compensated for in firmware), such as hand-shaking. NCQ reduces this overhead by implementing Frame Information Structure (FIS). Silicon Image and Promise are both working with Seagate for NCQ support, and Promise is working with Western Digital for TCQ support. At the moment, WD has the upper hand in regards to performance, as TCQ is quite mature. However, WD will eventually need to change to NCQ, and by then Seagate will have worked out the bugs of this new performance feature.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
>>Command queuing at Tom's

Command Queuing at Tom's is nothing more than when Tom walks into the room you are supposed to click your heels together, swiftly raise your right arm to a 45 degree angle, and yell "Sieg Heil!" three times in a row.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Onomatopoeic said:
>>Command queuing at Tom's

Command Queuing at Tom's is nothing more than when Tom walks into the room you are supposed to click your heels together, swiftly raise your right arm to a 45 degree angle, and yell "Sieg Heil!" three times in a row.

OK, so we don't like the guy, but is that really an appropriate comment?

He is, however, a good example of a physician gone horribly wrong.