[News] Dual layer DVD+R/W on its way!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I just outfitted a classroom with Sony dual format drives.

<sob>

Oh well. Any word on availability of the *GOOD* drives?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Apparently it can be done with just a firmware update - tho I doubt Sony would miss the opportunity to screw it's loyal customers over and make us buy brand new drives. And the good media of course. I hope it's affordable, unlike double sided DVD-R was at the start.

I was thinking of getting the Plex 8x burner which apparently burns 4x Memorex DVD+R at 8x no probs. But I might as well wait for the double-layer stuff now.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Pradeep said:
And the good media of course. I hope it's affordable, unlike double sided DVD-R was at the start.

I'm sure Hollywood will try to do everything it can to ensure they won't be affordable.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
At a certain point, I no longer care. Now that I'm used to copying DVDs instead of dealing with encoding, I WANT TO COPY DVDS. This is worth a great deal of money to me.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
An official Press Release is now available from Pioneer regarding their development of dual layered DVD-R discs. Interestingly enough, their news has been given the same date as Philips' dual layer +R announcement. Seems to me that someone should tell them to adjust their calendars. Anyways, I would tend to agree with Doom9's remark that, based on Pioneers plan "to make a proposal of this technology as a new disc format to the DVD Forum after further improvement in performance", we won't be seeing it for a while....What's that you smell? Why that's the same aroma given off by the ever so widely available P4 EE of course.

To further address the earlier +R/W annoucement, Doom9's Oct 8th news blurb reports that at

The CEATEC fair in Japan ... Mitsubishi and Rico are showcasing dual layer DVD+R media which can be written on a recorder shown by Philips. Dual layer DVD+R products are expected to hit the marketplace in spring 2004. The Blu-ray disc also seems to be gaining support, with Panasonic even showing dual layer Blu-ray discs, capable of holding up to 50 GB of data while the Blu-ray competition has AOD recorders and media on display

50GB. Hi carumba!

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
CityK said:
50GB. Hi carumba!

Hi carumba indeed! :eek: I can almost drool at the thought of the backups I can make in one single disk :wink: I wonder how much one of these blu-ray nurners cost currently although I fear I have to sell one of my kidneys and lungs.

Cheers,
Edward

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
So, with dual-layers maybe being available in 6 or so months, any guess on the price premium? I've been on the edge of buying either the Sony or Pioneer 4x for a little while now, but the idea of dual-layer, well, really the idea of 2x the storage, is rather tempting. My use is for data storage, not creating discs for DVD Player playback.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
No idea about prices. My only concern about DL is media reliability. If its hard enough to get decent CD-RWs, how in the hell is DVD+R/W DL ever going to get off the ground. I'm anticipating a lot of people making a lot of coasters.....But then again, from everything I've seen/read so far, the DVD Alliance seems pretty confident about the whole thing.

I think I might wait it out a bit more. Everything is just getting cheaper and faster by the day. With that said, however, if a 12x single layer drive and media existed today, I don't think I would bother waiting for any DL drives or reliable media to materialize.

CK