[NEWS] New P4 "Extreme Edition"

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is it worth $3,692? How much does the L3 cache improve performance?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
No benchmarks yet, but the L3 cache would presumably improve operations that rely on memory bandwidth (video encoding and computer games, basically).

flagreen will be pleased to hear that this processor is apparently a high-end Xeon in a misbegotten not-Socket 603-package. Since it's a "P4" it's probably also not dual-capable.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
There's no way it's going to cost 3 grand. Prob less than $1000. The Xeon MP is certified for up to 8 way operation, the pee4 version is for single cpu apps. People will pay the big bucks for large cache and 8 way. If the price is the same for the p4 version then people might as well buy the XeonMP.

From the Inq:

"Alfs said the P4 HT EE would not be a mainstream part. Since it would be Intel’s highest performing Pentium4 offering it would attract gamers and users demanding top performance. He said it would be "a little more expensive" than the regular P4 and would be available from OEMs in November. "

http://theinquirer.net/?article=11584

SteveC

Storage is cool
Adcadet said:
uhhh...am I missing something here....a chip costing >$3000? What gamer can afford that?

I read it was going to be in the $700-800 range. It's basically the same chip as the $3000 Xeon, but with a different pin count.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I haven't seen anything at to what socket these are going to be built for. I did read at the Tech Report that they will be the same die as Xeon MPs are made on (603 pins I think).

How they can sell these for so much less than the Xeon Mps with 2mb L3 cache I don't know. Corporate customers who have bought MPs are going to be pissed if the prices above are correct and I don't blame them.