NEWZ: Adaptec SATA II Controllers Are RAID-6 Capable

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
Adaptec Strengthens SATA Product Line with New SATA II 4-Port and 8-Port RAID Controllers for Cost-Effective, High-Performance Storage

Industry's First SATA II RAID-on-Chip Controllers offer Advanced Data Protection - Including Array Snapshot and RAID 6 - for Maximum Fault Tolerance

• Adaptec 2420SA and 2820SA support standard SATA II features including Native Command Queuing (NCQ) to optimize the execution of commands. In addition, there are several optional features which can be easily added at any time by purchasing a license for Adaptec's Advanced Data Protection Suite. Included in the Advanced Data Protection Suite is patent-pending Adaptec RAID 6 technology (Adaptec 2820SA only), as well as support for Hot Space (RAID 5EE) and Striped Mirror (RAID 1E). Snapshot Backup, another feature included with the Advanced Data Protection Suite, provides the ability to create point-in-time copies of data stored on an internal or external array in order to improve enterprise backup operations; while Copyback Hot Spare allows system administrators to designate a drive location as a hot spare. After a drive failure and replacement, the controller will automatically migrate back to the original configuration...

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/co...Page&prodkey=10102005&source=home_pr_10102005

• >> In addition, there are several optional features which
    >> can be easily added at any time by purchasing a license
    >> for Adaptec's Advanced Data Protection Suite.

Turn on certain RAID controller features through a license??? I'm not sure if I like this trend.

Thinking WAY ahead of this, it could get to the point that secondhand hardware (used hardware) could be rendered useless without a license key to enable it.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
"Patent-pending" RAID 6? I believe Intel has had the hardware for a while now, got RAID 6 support in the Areca controllers and many others.