NEWZ: Iomega Is At It Again -- DCT

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
  • Iomega Corporation Announces Breakthrough Miniature 1.5 Gigabyte Removable Storage Technology Working Samples Released To Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) for Evaluation of Technology for use in Next Generation Consumer Electronics Products

Iomega ...today announced a new 1.5 GB digital capture technology (DCT) platform designed for a new generation of digital entertainment products, including camcorders and portable video players, as well as portable PCs and smart handheld devices.

...Iomega’s DCT platform incorporates key enabling technologies from leading companies including Fujifilm, Citizen and TI. Such enabling technologies include a new magneto-resistive (MR) drive head design developed by Iomega and NANOCUBIC™ magnetic media coating technology developed by Fujifilm.

...The media will provide potential recording capacity of up to 6Gb/square inch by applying Fujifilm’s new NANOCUBIC technology, which will be about 10 times higher in recording density than magnetic disks that are currently available...

http://www.iomega.com/about/prreleases/2003/dct_platform.html

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
This after the amazing success they've had with the Peerless and the 750MB ZIP.

Seems to me that Microdrive and CF densities are already down to $200 for 1GB (similar density). Unless this thing is substantially cheaper in terms of $/GB and reasonably well adopted by consumer electronics, it's just another DOA Iomega technology.

Piyono

Storage is cool
No mention of what technology it uses (Couldn't be FRAM -- the densities aren't high enough yet, from what I've read.)... Only glosses over form factor, too. I hate teaser press releases.
Any bets as to whether Iomega actually came up with a new type of memory or if they've just repackaged an off-the-shelf solution.

Piyono

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Just as a side note in reference to that article and Iomega: How can you be so stupid as to name a drive Clik!? Clik is the worst thing you can hear from your drive.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a USB clik drive and a few disks. I think I paid $10 for the whole kit, used. The disks are a handy size but the format in general is incredibly stupid.

Peerless remains my personal pet peeve. Iomega wants us to buy a dock, that holds a 2.5" hard disk in a proprietary enclosure, and connect it to a PC at USB 1.1 speeds?!? Oh. And I can buy extra disks-in-proprietary-enclosures at 60%-over-retail markup.

Where do I sign up for that one!

OTOH, Iomega's 40GB USB2 sealed enclosure is a marvelous thing. It was absolutely worth the $100 I paid to get one.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I still use an ATAPI ZIP 750 almost daily for storing stuff.

Zero problems. I tend to wear a cartridge out about once a year but have never had one die without warning me to get all the data off it first. (Clicking noises)...I have 5 cartridges in use.

It's Ultra DMA 33 so it doesn't slow down the CD-Rom on the same channel.

Approximately as fast as a 50X CD-Rom in read/write.

If there was something for me to complain about with this drive I'd mention it, but there is not.

I'll never mess with CD-RW's as long as I have it.

Onomatopoeic

Buck said:
Just as a side note in reference to that article and Iomega: How can you be so stupid as to name a drive Clik!? Clik is the worst thing you can hear from your drive.
Yes, I used to make many many jokes about this back in the day (the infamous Zip "click of death").

Buck said:
I still use an ATAPI ZIP 750 almost daily for storing stuff. Zero problems.
The very latter-day (circa 2000) Zip 100s finally seemed cured. The Zip 250 seems a bit better yet.

I tend to wear a cartridge out about once a year but have never had one die without warning me to get all the data off it first. (Clicking noises)...I have 5 cartridges in use.
No, *that* is not THE "Click Of Death."

The infamous "Click Of Death" is rather loud. And, when the "Click Of Death" occurs, BOTH the drive AND the disc are finished for good! BOTH are trash. Then some people make the mistake of putting the now-damaged Zip disc into a working Zip drive where it causes yet another... Click Of Death!

And to add insult to injury, Iomega refused to replace the drive or even the Zip disc. They bast&%#s always claimed that you were using "non-Iomega media" and that you voided the warranty when you (allegedly, of course) used that "non-Iomega media" (Fuji, Memorex, BASF, Maxell, etc). At work, some people in my area had no less than 6 "Click Of Death" incidents, with one destroying someone's (stupid on their part) only copies of files.

The "Click Of Death" failure was damned sure without a doubt a flaw in the Zip Drive -- likely a flaw caused by cheap-o penny-pinching construction of the head assembly. I've talked to a HELL OF A LOT of people over the years that've experienced the Zip "Click Of Death."

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Zip 250s.

Number sold: One.

Number returned becaue the poxy thing doesn't work properly: One.

Don't blame me! Tannin and I were on holiday. Kristi sold it. And it's crap. She will provide the details at some time shortly. I don't even want to think about it!

Iomega are incompetent, greedy poxheads and the better they go bankrupt the sooner.

Or something like that anyway.

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
I use a Zip 250 to back up important data.... yet the last time I tried to use it the disk had bad sectors... fortunately I have more disks and my data. It is a great way to backup just the important stuff (as long as the disks are still good - can you tell I'm a little upset over that disk?).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Tea said:
Zip 250s.

Number sold: One.

Number returned becaue the poxy thing doesn't work properly: One.

Don't blame me! Tannin and I were on holiday. Kristi sold it. And it's crap. She will provide the details at some time shortly. I don't even want to think about it!

Iomega are incompetent, greedy poxheads and the better they go bankrupt the sooner.

Or something like that anyway.

and they never gave me my rebate!