NiMH Batteries

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I am looking to buy appoximately 6-8 NiMH AA batteries and a charger to go along with them.

They will be used in a variety of applications including a digital camera. I can buy them online or locally, either will work.

Does anyone have a favorite brand or a favorite place to buy them from. I am looking for a good product for the least amount of money.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I got riped off on some super cheap gurucell from eBay. Now I just buy regular old Energizer from just about anywhere locally. They survive really well in my camera.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Probably the absolute best cells are Sanyos but they are a bit pricey. A lot of people swear by them. They're usually pricey but someone on eBay has some fairly cheap here and someone else has another auction here. In the past all Energizer rechargeables were just rebranded Sanyos but I heard that's changed recently. They're still good, but not quite as good as the genuine Sanyos.

There are several good chargers depending upon what you want to spend. I have 2 BC-900s but these are probably more charger than you need. Also, they have some issues which necessitated me and someone else devising a modification as described here. I also own the TG1000 and the V1000. The BC-900 and TG1000 both have 4 independent channels, meaning that each battery receives the amount of charge it needs. The V1000 charges batteries in pairs, so the cells may not always be charged optimally although I can't say I've had any problems with it. Amondotech also has loads of other chargers. Their Titanium NiMH cells also got good reviews, and cost a bit less than the Sanyos. I hope all of this helps.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I use the MAHA Powerex batteries. You can get them on the thomas distributing link (which is where I got them).
I use an older radioshack pulse charger. Was top of the line in its day.
I still don't think any of the newer chargers are better than it (though they might be faster). If I was to buy a charger I'd probably just pick up the MAHA MH-C204W or similar.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Will Rickards said:
I use the MAHA Powerex batteries. You can get them on the thomas distributing link (which is where I got them).
I use an older radioshack pulse charger. Was top of the line in its day.
I still don't think any of the newer chargers are better than it (though they might be faster). If I was to buy a charger I'd probably just pick up the MAHA MH-C204W or similar.

I have the MAHA MH-C204F. It has two independent charging banks for four batteries. I like it. Like Will, I have always purchesed stuff from Thomas.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
We used to sell chargers that were identical to the TG1000 - right down to the "Quick Charger" oval logo - except they were branded "Sanyo" and marked "Designed and inspected in Japan".

The independent channels are cool; we use one at present to charge just one AAA battery at a time - not many chargers can do that.

Be aware though, that those chargers (and most others) are limited by a timer as well as thermal and "negative delta V" cutouts. The one we have here can only fast charge up to about 1700mAh; 2600mAh is almost certainly beyond their reach unless you run them twice ...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
OK. I think I will go with the MAHA MH-C204F charger that a couple of you recommended. It is cheap and this doesn't need to be the best stuff on the market, price is important.

Does anyone know if there is anything wrong with these Lenmar batteries?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The (presumably Chinese) Lenmars cost $7 for 4 and are supposedly 2300mAh (I guarantee they won't meet that spec).

On the same site, you can get Sanyo 2500mAh, made in Japan, at $10 for 4.

It seems a simple choice to me.

Bung

What is this storage?
jtr1962 said:
In the past all Energizer rechargeables were just rebranded Sanyos but I heard that's changed recently. They're still good, but not quite as good as the genuine Sanyos.

Must be true. Checked out the Energizers in the local NZ supermarket. 4 packs still Sanyo, twin packs don't have Sanyo mark but still made in Japan.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Joe is corect anbut the SWanyos/energizers. I have at least a dozen of each from mid-2005 and they are the same. (IOf you discharget eh cells fully (!), and cut them in the half construction is idetical.) I also chose trhe sanYos for teh OEM reqyuirements. Personnly i have bneen usign Sanyo rechargaeable cells sicne 1967 (in those days a AA niCD was only 450 mAH and a sub-C only 1.0 AH). I also have a BC-900 and about 20 other battery chargers left. Back in the 1980s I designed a variety of batter y chargers for NicD cells...

Anathor21

What is this storage?
Recommendation on charger that can do single AA battery?

Slightly off topic from the original post, but the expertise appears to be reading this topic...

What I'm really wanting is to be able to charge 3 at a time, but I assume best I'll be able to find is a normal "double" and the ability to charge a singleton by itself...

Darn kids toys seem to require 3 AA's...

Deadwood

What is this storage?
Steve's Digicams has some good descriptions of battery chargers, with links to thomas distributing. Some of the chargers charge each battery on its own circuit, so you can charge 3. This includes the LaCrosse BC-900. I have a Panasonic QC390 I bought at Costco a few years ago. Only recently did I learn that it has a circuit for each battery! Don't bother searching for the Panasonic, however, no one sells it anymore.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I went the lazy-ass route and just bought everything at Best Buy at a higher price because I didn't feel like ordering something and then waiting. I got 2500mah Energizer batteries and an Energizer charger. It was like $26 for the charger and 4 batteries and then I bought 4 more batteries for $15 (probably a rip off).

I haven't tested any of it yet, because it is a gift for someone. But, I am sure it will be fine for that person's needs.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I probably should have ordered it all, but for 2500mah batteries, it wasn't all that bad of a deal and I didn't have to pay any shipping.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
There is no Target close to where I live. I can walk to Best Buy, I certainly cannot walk to Target. And I think all of the cost savings would have been eaten if I would have taken a cab.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Re: Recommendation on charger that can do single AA battery?

Anathor21 said:
What I'm really wanting is to be able to charge 3 at a time, but I assume best I'll be able to find is a normal "double" and the ability to charge a singleton by itself...

Get a MH-C401FS from Thomas Distributing. It has 4 separate charging circuits and can do 1, 2, 3 or 4 batteries at a time.

I use one for both AA and AAA cells.

Anathor21

What is this storage?
Re: Recommendation on charger that can do single AA battery?

Get a MH-C401FS from Thomas Distributing. It has 4 separate charging circuits and can do 1, 2, 3 or 4 batteries at a time.

I use one for both AA and AAA cells.[/quote]

Thanks for the link - just what I was looking for...