Not obtaining audio CD metadata (.MP3 Tags) from freedb.org

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
First of all: 1) I'm no audiophile; 2) my DAP and headphones don't warrant any "quality" EAC ripping; and 3) I'm lazy and just need a basic CD-to-.MP3 rip. So I'm just using FreeRIP with everything default. I came across a CD that FreeRIP doesn't automagically obtain the track names/metadata from the freedb.org servers.

freedb.org

The site is shutting down March 31, 2020. Is this going to bork the 236266617171 different programs that use that freedb.org for tag info? There doesn't seem to be any free DB servers that I can use to reconfigure FreeRIP to search for and apply the .MP3 Tags? Do I need a different (basic/easy to use) RIPPING program? Are there alternative CD metadata servers that I'm missing? Is there a site that will scan my CD, determine the tags and allow me to apply them to the .MP3 files in my music folder? Do I need to download a "stand alone" type CD metadata .MP3 tag DB?

Any suggestions?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
^^^ Thanks for the tip. I did notice MusicBrainz when I did my initial googling, but didn't see or notice a MusicBrainz server I could drop into FreeRIP to replace the freedb server. But you are probably right, I just need to get a different ripper that has explicit already included support for MusicBrainz.

I thought it was weird that my "mainstream POP album" had no entry-metadata-tags for it.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
IIRC, music brainz did have a freedb compatible API endpoint, but it was discontinued about a year ago instead favouring native client support.

Best just to try a new ripper with musicbrainz support. (Something that I need to look into myself as the ripper I use (asunder) only supports freedb).