Odds of Warranty Repair vs. Warranty Replacement

Adcadet

Storage Freak
3 years minus 8 days ago, I purchased an IBM iSeries 1452 laptop and a 3-year warranty. About a month ago I noticed the built-in CD player stopped working - it wouldn't turn on or anything. This CD player is really nifty - you don't have to turn the computer on to use it, so it's great for airline flights and such. Anyway, today I got a chance to take it in and get it serviced. I was shocked to find out that I only had 8 days left, so I'm glad I didn't procrastinate any more than I did. Anyway, they said they'd send it off to get repaired. My question is: what do people think are the odds they'll have the parts to repair/replace the broken CD player part vs. not being able to fix it and having to replace the laptop with a newer model?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I bet they will have the parts to fix it. I recently was looking for Compaq parts for a laptop that is about that old. And Compaq still had all the replacement parts for it. The price for them was really high though. $380 for a DVD replacement drive? $1600 for a replacement LCD panel? Give me a break, that is more than the laptop cost to begin with.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm no Madam Cleo but I doubt you'll get a new one. Maybe if you're lucky, really lucky, you'll get a refurbished laptop. :idea:

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Thats what I was afraid of. But a guy can dream, right? At least I'll get the CD player to work again.