Old Backpack hard drive works on all but one computer

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Hey everyone (newbie here). I perceive that there are a few very intelligent persons here. I thought maybe you could help me out. I have an old parallel backpack (by Microsolutions) hard drive (less than 1gb), and it works on all my computers, from the modern ones to the old IBM XT (4.77mhz). There is just one computer it does not work on, and that is one of the laptops (Toshiba Satellite A25-S279). The auto backpack finder which immediatly recognizes the drive when it is plugged in to the other computers does absolutely nothing on this computer. It is using the exact same driver. I have to conclude that there is something weird with the parallel port, although printers are recognized fine. Are there any port settings that need changed? The settings in WinXP (my operating system) are the same on this computer as my other laptop for the most part, but is there a bios setting that needs changed (and how?)?
Anyway, rather than speculating any further, I will let the experts give their opinion.
Thanks!

Rod

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Welcome RW. Although I don't fit your very intelligent category, the compliment is kindly received at this forum.

My expectation with this Toshiba notebook is that the 32-bit drivers may not be loading for the parallel port. Can you access the Backpack utility in the Control Panel? If so, see if there is an EPP setting and change it to Bidirectional or if there is a check box for testing EPP, make sure it is unchecked.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I had an old Microsolutions Parallel port CD-ROM and an old Pinnacle MP10 that also would not function properly with my collection of laptops. Eventually I found that most non-printer parallel devices required EPP communication, which was not supported on the oldest Dell and IBM notebooks I owned.

RWIndiana

Thanks for the replies!
I tried what you suggested and turned off the EPP in the backpack finder utility, but it's still not detected although I rebooted several times. I looked on the microsolutions website and tried some of the options they suggested, still no go. I am unable to access the bios setup on this machine so I'm not sure if it's something in there or not.
Grrrr this is frustrating. lol

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Unfortunately the BIOS is where you'd need to go to adjust the ECP/EPP/Bi directional or standard parallel port options.

Perhaps some readng at the manufacturer's webpage or simply asking a tech from a retail store that specializes in laptops will garner you the answer to reaching the BIOS.

RWIndiana

Great news!! I did the esc+F1 on startup and got into the bios. The parallel port setting was on "not used" so I changed it to LPT1. That didn't work so I changed it to LPT2. After fiddling around with the software and driver settings in XP, it is finally working! Hallelujah! I wish I knew exactly what I did...... :-?