Old System - Still working Well - Anything to tweak though?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I just finished 'tuning up' my Father-in-laws PC that I built for him in 2009. AMD 2.9Ghz Rana Athlon II X3 with 4GB RAM & integraged graphics (785G).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128397

He got a Sandisk 240GB SSD for like $50 that I swapped in for his old HDD and he now has a newer 1TB drive for his data that I gave him. I re-loaded Win10 Home for him (clean instead of the upgrade he had done from Win 7). The thermal paste had all dried out so the CPU was running hot so I replaced the paste with some new stuff and that made a big different in the CPU temp.. Cleaned out the dust bunnies and now it runs Windows surprisingly well, especially for non-power user like him. Pulled off Windows Live Mail and got him on Thunderbird for his email. He likes to use an email client.

Funny though, loading up Firefox or Chrome with Fox News or CNN as the only thing going and the CPU is running at about 35% on all 3 cores - with just the one tab open. I guess that is the age of the CPU as well as the fact that he's using the integrated graphics.

Any low cost suggestions for improving the performance a bit? If I have a spare GPU would there be any value to adding it?

Edit: I just did a test on my personal machine and high content websites do seem cause quite a bit of CPU spiking to around 35% at times - because I am seeing it on my i5 3570K with GTX970 GPU. It is a little less on my new machine but still more than I would have expected. Normal behavior I guess.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I agree.

You could try to find a new processor, but, still, most improvements will be major mucking around.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
How large is the monitor? If father-n-law has poor eyesight a larger monitor at the same resolution of the current monitor would be nice and would get you a nice 'pat-on-the-back-thanks-son-in-law' handshake!

He probably won't care/notice/appreciate any internal updates to machine and like others said don't bother. Get a new machine when his current machine goes tits up. Just keep things backed up and install the needed browser 'addons' to prevent malware/adware/spyware/etc and you're all set.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I gave him a 24" monitor. He is really happy and everything is working fine so I didn't do anything other than put new thermal paste on and upgrade the BIOS to the latest. System is running great considering it is mostly 8 years old!

Kevin