On-demand file share software?

Handruin

Administrator
Does anyone know of a software application that will allow me to create a web-based file sharing system? To explain more on what I'm asking for, I'm envisioning being able to go to a webpage and request a file share. The file share type can be NFS, CIFS, etc. I can then mount the file share and upload files. Part of creating this page will be a shortened URL that I can then send to someone else. The receiver of the URL opens the page and can then gets access to the file share location so they can mount it or download content through the web. The catch is, I need to actually host this myself in a private (corporate) environment. Anyone know of such a product?

Handruin

Administrator
So you want kind of a front-end for webdav? Something like this, maybe?

I had not thought of that. I'll have to read up on WebDav a bit more before I can make some kind of determination. I was envisioning those times when I need to send large project files and email isn't the medium to attach them to. Sending the email with a shortened URL to a location where they can retrieve the files via the web or as a shared drive was what I had in mind. Access control isn't a huge deal in this case. Nor is object permanence. I'm ok with these shares even removing themselves after 30 days.

In addition to that, having the ability for me to mount the share as an actual drive would be useful for certain ease of scripting reasons. Then I can send out the URL to people but continue to add content to a share in Windows or Linux. It may also work a little like dropbox but synchronizing really isn't what I'm in need of for this.

Handruin

Administrator
Also, think of the model like imgur uses. I'm not looking for users to create accounts. Just upload files and get a slice of space to use. Share it and be done. Longevity could be based on traffic over time. If traffic is non-existent, then it can be reclaimed.