Online backup

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Or remote backup, whatever.

So I want to backup at least 50GB of files over the net, but there are two problems:

1. Lousy upload speed, probably only about 1.5Mbps
2. ISP that charges for uploads, with an included quota of no more than 60GB.

If we pay the ISP vast sums of money the first time, I guess all the files could be uploaded to some online storage facility (at least 4 days of uploading!!!) and then we use incremental backups (I also need to keep versions of each file, or at least one older version).

Or, we only ever upload the files that have changed (differential), based on a local database of files. Full backups use local physical media (removable drive) instead.

Does anyone know of software to facilitate the second option in particular? Any practical advice in general would be good.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Mozy can throttle its upload speed, only backs up file changes and keep multiple versions of backed-up files.

I don't know what to tell you about your transfer limit, though.

Handruin

Administrator
From what I've seen, Mozy will do the initial and then check for changed files before uploading the new incremental changes. It also keeps versions of changed files (from what I remember) but I'd like to confirm that before making that statement a fact. I've not actually tried a recovery of an incrementally changed file. Mercutio is correct that it can throttle, but I also don't know if you can set transfer limits. The good news is that you can try it for free for up to 2GB of space.

For what it's worth, I only get about 1 - 1.5 Mb/sec upload with Mozy even with my current 3 Mb/sec ISP service. The initial backup is a dear pain, but after it is there, it isn't a big deal to continue. However for you, I understand the concerns with paying overage charges.

Stinker

What is this storage?
I had about 200GB of stuff backed up on Mozy. Took months to complete the upload with my PC on 24/7. Then it seemed like it would fail on uploads a lot. Not sure if my ISP (Comcast) was the problem or not. I can eaasily get 2MB upload to just about anywhere. I would think not since Comcast recently offered free 2GB online storage through a re-branded Mozy client.

The Mozy client also seemed to bog down my PC a lot. I didn't realize how much it was dragging it down until I finally uninstalled it.

I wish there was something better out there.