Opera 7.11 crashing

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Has anyone else experienced instability problems with Opera 7.11?

I can't seem to surf for more than a few minutes without it splattering. Tried cleaning it off and reinstalling from scratch, but to no avail.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I have never had Opera 7.x crash on me. But that is possibly because I have not installed it, and still use my (registered and paid for) 6.05. :) Time enough to think about upgrading once you brave people at the leading edge have discovered all the bugs for me. But maybe I'll never upgrade - Mozilla is getting so good that the need for Opera is not what it was a year or two ago.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I've been using 7.11 since it came out. (On a XP system)

It crashes every once in a great while but not often. When it does, it is only to the desktop. It has never locked up the entire system with it. It restarts with no problem and the "continue where you last were" feature makes it pretty much no big deal.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmm, I'm perplexed. It seems to be a Javascript issue, in that disabling it avoids the crashes.

Groltz, would you mind surfing www.news.com.au a little, just to see what happens?

Groltz

Not at all.

I just finished browsing through there. I went to several of the subsections on the lefthand sidebar and also selected several news articles.
No crashes at all. And yes, I am running the Java-equipped version of 7.11.

0,5001,262417,00.jpg

--Steve

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, I seem to have solved the problem, but it wasn't (and still isn't) obvious.

I reverted to 7.10 and it seemed okay (I think ...), but the Java installation in the middle of the Opera installation made me realize something had been missing. Sure enough, the 7.11 package I had been using did not include Java[/i].

So I uninstalled 7.10, downloaded Opera 7.11 with Java, and installed it. The Java installation said I already had Java 1.41_01 (possibly a slightly different build?) and did I want to uninstall it. I okayed it, and after the installation confirmed that I had (or still had) Sun Java installed.

No go, Joe. :( Still splattered.

Once more, I uninstalled Opera, then Java and its poxy Webstart companion. Deleted the Opera directory (which I'd been doing previously), then found that the Java directories were still instact, as if the uninstall was for nought. :-?

So I creamed the Java directory as well, then installed 7.11 once again - and all was well. :D

I'm guessing the residual Java files were screwing things up somehow, so it's a tip worth noting.

Groltz

Notice that when you do a Java-version Opera install that it allows you to specify a directory for the Java files separately from the browser? I always select a directory inside the main Opera directory. (C:\Program Files\Opera7\Java) It keeps it all together for when you want to delete it.