Opera, not the browser.

fool

Learning Storage Performance
Owing to the facts that cheap tickets were available and that Glyndebourne is just down the road from me, I spent much of Monday evening in row B of the circle watching Motzarts Idomeneo.
I found it a strangely charming experience. Musically beautiful to the extent that, as I lay in bed drifting in and out of sleep, I was hearing snatches of voices and violins. But visually very odd.
I want a recording of the opera and wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
There others here besides me that have much more experience with music and purchasing high quality recordings. But for my two cents, I've always had good success with Deutsche Grammaphon recordings, although they have been on the more expensive side of things.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm not a Mozart fan, but I do own the recent Levine recording on DG. It is pretty good. It's got your basic all-star cast (Bartoli, Domingo, Terfel) and a great orchestra and conductor and the recording itself is up to DG's usual standards.

Again, I'm not much for Mozart. There may be a pretty artistic interpretation out there somewhere.

fool

Learning Storage Performance
Thanks guys, I'll get a copy of that Levine recording.
Mercutio, any recomendations for operas/composers I should be looking out for next time theres a special on tickets? (I paid £10 instead of £52 :D )

Mercutio

I'm sure there will be the usual performances of Puccini and Verdi. Those are great for beginners, since they nearly all contain one great aria or duet.

Mercutio

If you all are interested, I'd more more than willing to share some of my favorite music with anyone interested. I love classical music, and it's a real thrill to find someone else who enjoys the same music I do.

It's a hackney'd choice, but there's a reason "La Boheme" is one of the few operas everyone has actually heard of. The end of the first act, in particular, contains about 20 minutes of the greatest airs in Opera.

Similarly, Madame Butterfly is just about the height of tragic opera. A great story, a great libretto, and a great arrangement.

I also have a soft spot for one of Puccini's less performed works: La Fanciulla del West (Girl of the Golden West). I've never seen it, only listened to the CD, but I love the fact that the protagonist, no doubt sung by a great Italian tenor, is named "Dick Johnson". :)