Opinions on Supermicro

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Seems Newegg has a lot of refurbished Supermicro motherboards available.

Are Supermicros' motherboards that bad?

Bozo :mrgrn:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I like my P4SCT a lot, have not heard of anyone having problems with this board. The software monitoring/admin package is really nice too although I wish they had a lite version. Have not dealt with their RMA department but I got several questions answered quickly from them.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Simply flawless, on the X5DA8.

Incredible board. Only problem has been noisy stock intel fans, on the 2.8's, and, the onboard scsi has the 50 pin setup with the plastic piece down, so getting a cable to fit is a pain in the ass.

Other then that, it's by FAR, the best mobo I've ever had, and I will probably NEVER buy another type of motherboard.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
190 dollars????

Hmmmm.

I might buy one. :mrgrn:

I do kind of wonder what support you get from Supermicro. Give em a call first.

S

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Kind of like buying a Toyota, and buying a warranty. Mines 17 years old, and has 225k on the first engine. Got 200,000 on the first clutch...

As Gary said, you don't need bios updates because usually everything works...

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What actually comes with it? If it's pictured is what comes with it, it would be nice to know what the exact specs and components are. It looks like a steal, because the removeable slots for the 4 drives is 150, plus the mobo is worth 200-300.
Wonder what processor, etc.?

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I got it. No ram, or processor. Still looks like a pretty good deal, but what power supply is included?

Better then the refurb motherboard, value wise, I think.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
525, plus processor, plus ram, plus harddrives...

I was thinking of doing something just like that for a gaming box, for school. I need it to be a tad bit cheaper...

s

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Just received my refurbished P4SCT+II form Newegg. Everything seems to be working fine.
One thing: when Newegg says it's bare bone, it's bare. Didn't even have the retention mechanism for the heatsink/fan :cry:

Bozo :mrgrn:

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
Bozo said:
...Are Supermicros' motherboards that bad?
Hardly. They are designed and built primarily for the technical workstation, server, industrial, and telecomm marketplaces.

It's too bad Supermicro is so tied to Intel. I would like to see Opteron products from them.

If I had seen your topic earlier, I would have told you that it probably doesn't have a manual and/or some cables. However, I am surprised that yours didn't have the microprocessor retainer hardware. I have never bought a Super-O refurb, but I've heard from others that the refurb units were basically unused mobos that were missing some ancillary contents from the original box or mobos that were to be shipped in bulk to system assemblers that never were, and were then re-packaged for regular sale.

Santilli said:
As Gary said, you don't need bios updates because usually everything works...
...er, not exactly correct. I might've said that you won't see a lot of BIOS updates from Supermicro because they test the hell out of the mobo + BIOS code before they release a mobo model for sale. If there is some sort of glitch or incompatibility discovered, they will release a BIOS revision denoted with a letter at the end of the version (e.g. -- V1.2a). Supermicro *does* update BIOSes if a new core stepping becomes available and a change is required for compatibility reasons (e.g. -- V1.1 versus V1.2).

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
My end result has been the bios has needed little or no updating. Unlike Asus, which seemed to release a new bios about 4 times after the board is released, to just get all the features to work properly.

I always suspected Asus figured the consumers are their R&D department.

s