Outlook blues....

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Well I had to do it. Outlook 2000 was working fine. I hit Office Update. I was contemplating the hassles of downloading Office2k SP3. And then I did it. I put in the Outlook XP (2002) CD into my laptop. And so my troubles began.

Actually I made a serious mistake. I thought I was running OfficeXP, and Outlook 2000. But what I actually had was Office2k, which had been upgraded with Works (the one with WordXP). So during the upgrade from Outlook 2K to 2002, the bastard integrity checking bullturd wanted my Office2K disc. Which I don't have on me right now. Never thinking I would need it to upgrade something. So I hit cancel and the upgrade seemed to proceed OK. All my contact and emails were present. But everytime I started Outlook 2002, the damn thing asked for the Office2K disc! I went in and wiped Office 2K and WordXP off the blasted thing. Then reinstalled OfficeXP. Applied OXP SP1. Dl'd OXP SP2. Installed. Got the latest Outlook patch. Installed. Everything is upto date. No more requests for CDs when I start it up.

And now Outlook XP keeps f###### crashing on me. I will open an email (usually from SR saying there is a new reply). I then click on the url, and the hand symbol stays there. I click to close it and the dreaded non-responsive status appears. I have to force it shut. And I don't know when this will happen. My thoughts are that somehow the bastard WordXP integration has screwed it. Or the major hassles I had upgrading.

The solution is clear before me. Format C: /U. And I ask myself why, why....why couldn't I leave everything as it was. *sobs uncontrollably*

time

Storage? I am Storage!
For shame!

You broke Tannin's first law ("if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it").

In addition, you want sympathy for an Outbreak problem ... :eek:

If I say any more, Honold or someone will condemn me as an M$ basher, and there is surely no worse crime? :eekers:

In all seriousness, you have my deepest sympathies, oh hawk-eyed-one-who-likes-133dpi-runny-glass-displays.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Since when do we care what honold thinks? ;)

IIRC, there's a fix for upgraded-Outlook-XP-from-2000 crashes.
The fix in question involved several invokations of regsrv from the command line, but I can't seem to find it with a 2 second google search.

And, of course, using Word to compose outlook mail is like using a flamethrower to mow your grass.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
What a solution, renaming three dat files. Why did the SP corrupt them in the first place Billy-Bob Gates? Oh yeah, you wouldn't know, you just own the place.

Mercutio

Outlook is evil and must be destroyed. Seriously.

Since my entire day today has been spent trying to resolve Outlook/Winfax integration problems, I'm more than entitled to voice my displeasure.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Bwahaha... WinFax is the devil. Blame Symantec. :) Seriously, though, most WinFax-like programs are problematic to some extent. I wish people would stop with this faxing nonsense and just e-mail correspondence.

Mercutio

I've spent literally the last 6 hours trying to make faxing to a distribution list work.
Should be simple, right?

Make a list, make sure everyone in the list has a business fax number, pop into Winfax message center, select the group from the Outlook Address Book...

Bang! "Some recipients were discarded because their addresses don't appear to be fax numbers."

Except, all the recipients in the group have fax numbers. It does this even in a group of one.

The client has Outlook 2000. It works just fine in outlook XP with only a little massaging. Everyone is on Winfax 10.2.

So I've spent all day poking at MSKB, Symantec's godawful support pages, prodding Outlook and WinFax settings. Of course, everything I read suggests that this config should work, but I've tried a half-dozen different machines on a variety of OSes and patch levels, and it doesn't.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Many a time have I been in Mercutio's shoes, trying to explain to a non-technical business-suit why something is not working, when it's supposed to. I feel his pain.

time wrote:
oh hawk-eyed-one-who-likes-133dpi-runny-glass-displays
I love that! Pradeep has a new handle!

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Bang! "Some recipients were discarded because their addresses don't appear to be fax numbers."

Did you happen to look for a corelation with the people who had email addresses as well as fax numbers? Hopefully you get the gist, I'm to tired to word it correctly.

Mercutio

Yup. Tried it both ways, too. You can do a lot of testing in eight or nine hours. Never did get it working the "easy" way. Finally exported their OAB to a CSV file, imported that to Winfax's phone book and made my groups that way.

... but only after spending 90 minutes explaining to clients that the "easy" way didn't work with outlook 2000 and that the "hard" way worked just fine. The simple truth is, I probably could've made it work "right" with a different fax program. Too bad they already had Winfax.