Overclocking ATI Video cards.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Source: [URL="http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic16387.html"]How to: Set 3D clocks on X1k series cards[/URL]

Concorde Rules said:
Before we start, few things:
1. DO NOT use the automatic clocking things in ATT and ATi Tool, they do NOT work with X1k series cards.
2a. Disabling the services put the card fully into your hands, fan speeds, voltages, etc, so you must watch what is happening and read the guide carefully and ask if your not sure (that will help me to improve the guide).
2b. Automatic clock chnages are also removed when the services are disabled, both programs have options so they can detect when a 3D app starts and closes, and then loads the selected profile by you when they detect it. Or you can set them yourself.
3. With X1k series cards, even with the services disabled there can be clock changes without your input, like starting a game or a video which can lead to crashes when the drivers force standard 2D clock speeds, there is no fix as of yet.
4. You MUST set clocks before starting the client or a game or something 3D, as the clock change corrupts the data and ofcourse it crashes ;)
5. On X1900 cards I think that mem bandwidth is more heplful than GPU mhz at during points. 625-650mhz core needs about 800-825mhz of mem speed to not have a big bottleneck, but thats only in 3D work, in this it may be different.
6. These programs do NOT relax timings, the only time they are relaxed is when using the CCC method when the ATi services are running. How I do it does not use CCC or the services.

Software
ATi Tool - Overclocking tool - although now not the one i’d use.
ATi Tray Tools - Overclocking tool. But has profiles for each program so you can have different clocks, quality settings etc on each one. Only install if your not using CCC.
Disclaimer: Do so at your OWN RISK blah blah.
First you must disable the two ATi services.
Start --> Run --> Type "services.msc" then disable both ATi services, the restart. Note this will stop the automatic change of clocks in 3D apps, but the programs below can do it for you.
ATi Tray Tools 3D
So here we go. First in the settings page make ATT start at Windows start. Plus bare in mind this part of the guide is based on a HiS IceQ X1900XT-X.
Then go to the Hardware panel and select overclocking settings.
You should be confronted with 3 tabs, ‘Overclocking’, ‘Fan’ and ‘Voltages’.
First we first want to make a 2D profile, so that when your not running the client you can set 2D clocks (like that will ever happen :p).
I have them set at the lowest the two sliders will go. So do that and then apply. Then press save as and save it as 2D. Tick load profile at start-up.
Next onto the ‘Fan’ tab, here you can set whatever you like but be reasonable. Don’t expect it to survive if you put it at 0 or 10% because sometimes 3D mode doesn’t kick in and it still can get very very hot even with a slow fan speed. Tick ‘Include In Profile’. Once you have set fan speeds, Apply and save as to the 2D profile. Now go to the ‘Voltage’ tab, here I have it set at 1.000V Core and 1.950V memory. But work your way down from the settings you find there. Most X1900s will do the same voltages as mine. Tick ‘Include In Profile’, apply and save as to the 2D profile.
Now, here you can test if you so wish, few loops of 3D Mark or just leave it. If the screen locks and the PC is still going, E.g. sounds then core voltage is too low. If you get artifacts/tears on the screen then memory voltage is too low. This applies to all clocking.

Now, Stock 3D!!
We have to work our way back from Voltages to clocks now, because if you set clocks with low voltage it will crash ;). So, set:
X1800 series: 1.425/2.089V
X1900 series: 1.4/2.089V
X1950 series: 1.4/2.089V
Apply and save as to a new profile called ‘Stock 3D’. Now, back to fan speeds, set your 3D fan speeds, apply and save to the ‘3D stock’ profile. Then onto the clocks page. Set them as follows:
X1800XL: 500/500
X1800XT: 625/750
X1800 GTO: 500/500
X1800 Crossfire Master Card: 625/750
X1900XT 512Mb: 625/725
X1900XT Crossfire Master Card: 625/725
X1900XTX: 650/775
X1950XT-X: 650/1000 (X1950 support is not yet avalible)
Apply and save to the 3D profile. Testing is tricky, 99% of the time it should be fine, but if you would like to test it by playing a game for a few hours then you may.

Overclocking 3D:
I don't think while the software is being BETA tested that you should overclock, but X1900XTs will do X1900XTX speeds easily in most cases. If you wish to overclock here is what you do:
I would work on core first, as the X1900 and possibly the X1800 series have a problem going over the CCC max of 690mhz on the core. Even with the services disabled. So work your way up to 690mhz, 10 mzh at a time. Most cards will do 690 on stock volts.
Once that is stable for 1 hour of gaming/2005/whatever. You can start on memory. Same pricipal as before, 10mhz at a time increasing mem voltage if required. Don’t go passed 2.15V atm as it crashes with the current version.
Eh, voila, clocked cards :).

ATi Tool is the same, new profile, set clocks, then fan then voltages when setting 2D and then volts, fan then clocks when setting 3D. X1950 users can use ATi Tool to overclock/
Concorde :)

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Using this method, I was able to signifigently better OC my video card as compared to ATI's drivers.

For my His X1900GT

Stock: 500/600
ATI OC driver: 600/700
This method of OC'ing: 690/850

These OC'ed values are lowered at least 50pts below first artifact detection, just to ensure stability. This almost makes the card as fast as a x1900XT.