P4 anomalies..

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Yes but mine are Prestonias not Northwoods. I don't have anyway to Overclock even I wanted to. Reading the article I wonder if this isn't an indication of something other than cpu speed being the bottleneck when running at such high speeds. Memory perhaps? Bus limitations?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
By the way they could have done a little better job naming the article. P4 Anomalies is a bit misleading when they are talking about P4 performance only when Overclocked to the extreme. When they are running the P4 in an "anomaly" (out of spec) fashion to begin with what they are calling an anomaly is not an Anomaly at all. Even if the performance exceeded their expectations it would still be an anomaly. So I suspect the author may be biased towards AMD. I could be wrong though.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi Flagreen.

The article and everything else about it seems a lite vague to me...
Better to wait for some more information.

Unless the processor is clock throttling, I can't see why there would be any fault in it. So I think you are right, must be something else hindering performance...

Vlad The Impaler

Learning Storage Performance
It is a heat thing IMO. I remember running an unlocked PII233 at 300Mhz once upon a time. It benchmarked faster at 266.

The same goes for my Athlon 1900+. With standard cooling, a very mild overclock of 135Mhz FSB gives good results. Any faster and things seem to stutter a little, although the system remains stable. Mind you, 135 is just fine for me!