P5-133XL has suffered a stroke and is not expected to live.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
No, not me, but rather my infamous computer that I named myself after.

It is having problems staying alive without extraordinary measures and it is not worth repairing - So I'll donate the body and all its organs for transplant to save another computers life. It wouldn't want to live life as a vegetable, so I'll be removing life support shortly (as soon as the transplant teams are ready)

Memorial services will be held on ... please don't send flowers but rather please donate your old machines to a local charity.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Holy crap, Mark. You sure know how to get attention around here. My heart skipped a beat when I first read that subject line. Then when I saw your name in the Creator field, I had a feeling it was probably your computer, which of course, it was. ... but you sure had me going at first!

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Ditto and ditto!

You sure know how to administer a 'stress test' Mark. That definitely caused a missed beat and a dose of adrenalin here. :frowner:

But I think it's a good thing that your ancient P133 is going to God of its own volition. Otherwise you would have had to make a decision about putting it out of its misery. :wink:

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Again, Ditto and Ditto. I thought it was pretty lucid typing for a stroke victim.

You can't predict these things Mark. MTBF is precious and precarious. But we know things happen for a reason. Fold on!

SteveC

Storage is cool
That is an attention getter for a subject line! I'm sure it lived a full and productive life. At least is will be an organ donor, though.

Steve

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yikes! You got me with that one too ... I held my breath while clicking on the forum topic!

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Not very funny, Mark!

I'm glad you're OK though.

C

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Sorry folks.

I have a sick sense of humor. I'm sure I could have done better by eliminating the shock value.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Whew, I almost had a stroke reading your topic.....*deep breath*

wheh....

I'm glad you'r ok!

The thought of someone from this group of people passing away is not pleasent. Stay healthy people!

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Somehow I didn't think it was the computer, but I thought (after seeing you as the author) that it was just a joke. I thought "nah, can't be".

I know if I had a stroke and was dying, last thing I'd be doing would be to sit here posting (yes really)!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Jesus Christ! :eek:

That was a very VERY V-E-R-Y bad analogy Mark... I almost made my pants dirty while opening the thread... :eekers:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
NRG = mc² said:
I know if I had a stroke and was dying, last thing I'd be doing would be to sit here posting (yes really)!
I don't think you could even do that even if you wanted. Heavy stroke patients (bound to die...) are almost always already in a coma...

[FYI]

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Am I the only one here who knew this thread was about Mark's computer? The title caught my attention, but once I saw that Mark was the author, I knew he was fine, but suspected the worst about his computer.

My condolences, Mark, on losing an old friend. No matter how many times this happens, it never gets any easier. If it's any consolation, your machine served you well, and should be joining Hal and all his other fallen comrades in that great PC utopia in the sky.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I saw P5's handle too, JTR, and I didn't freak right out because of that, but I thought maybe it's a family member posting under hs handle to let his friends at Storage Forum know the bad news or something. I sure was relieved when I read the post!

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
As one with heart desease, I did not think it was a bit funny........Even with my nickname!

Bozo :D

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tannin said:
I saw P5's handle too, JTR, and I didn't freak right out because of that, but I thought maybe it's a family member posting under hs handle to let his friends at Storage Forum know the bad news or something. I sure was relieved when I read the post!

I thought the same.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Tannin said:

Ditto...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, suddenly moving doesn't seem like such a trial...

Don't *DO* that Mark.

I have access to an organ-donation GW P5 133XL (been keeping it for the case) if you'd like. I'll even throw in shipping.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Merc,

No thanks but thanks for the offer. The case does not fit modern ATX motherboards otherwise I'd just plop in a new motherboard and the machines original purpose is no longer valid because I need to test HW/SW on more modern machines. All things come to a natural end and I think it is best to let this machine die a natural death.

Regardless of the machines status, I live on and it will live on in my memory.

Now if you (anyone) happens to have a working DEC PDP-8L, I'd take that in a heartbeat regardless of its modern day usefullness. That has much more personal memories than the P5-133XL

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Christ Mr. Turner, I know you're a geezer and all, but I didn't expect you to just up and die like that! You scarred the living daylights out of me (especially as I was wondering how your wrote you own post about impending death)

Adcadet

Storage Freak
P5-133XL said:
Merc,
Regardless of the machines status, I live on and it will live on in my memory.

Now is that EDO or an older type, Mr. Turner?
Oh, and I was only joking earlier about you being a geezer. After all the PDP-8L was around in what, the 4th Century AD?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
adcadet said:
Now is that EDO or an older type, Mr. Turner?

With a gezzer like me, I use paper-tape memory (write once memory). Since paper tape takes so much room in my brain, which has a limited amount of space, I've thrown away lots of memories to keep what's important. The phase "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know" seems to be appropiate description.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
:rofl:

That was rather like Pete Sampras vs Andy Roddick: a tennis lesson. Just beautiful, Mark. 8)