PABX call logging

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a client with an ISDN PABX who is trying to analyse call patterns, specifically linking incoming calls to free call numbers used for advertising feedback. He also wants summaries by time of day to help predict staffing requirements.

The software effectively requires a dedicated PC that constantly downloads the data from the PABX. Actually, it requires a specific user with administrator rights to be logged in at all times! He's seriously unhappy about this, as well as an apparent dearth of suitable reports.

What sort of requirements and functionality do people here think are reasonable, or have seen in their own experience?

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
Let's say the client computer (the box used for logging) is a Windows systems.

The logging application can be setup run as a Windows Service that runs automatically when the computer turns on. The service can log on as a local user that's in the administrative group. The service will run in the background doing it's thing, saving the log in a neutral file format -- such as comma or tab delimited text format -- that a database or spreadsheet can import for analysis.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes, a service is what you would reasonably expect.

They managed to setup Win2k to use the generic 'run as service' facility, but this meant there was no error messages and no way of telling if the app was getting the data from the PABX. As it happens, it stopped working after a couple of days, but no-one realized. :-?

I'm not certain, but I suspect the software is VB updating an embedded Access database.