Panasonic DMR-E55S DVD-RAM Recorder for Television

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
If I were a big television watcher (I'm not by a long shot), I would probably prefer a "non-tape" video recorder based on a hard drive.

However, I've been noticing a DVD-RAM-based recorder from Panasonic in recent times that could looks as if it could handily do the job of both a DVD-R and hard drive video recorder without resorting to either (it will record either to DVD-RW or DVD-RAM).

I like its ability to be able to record for surprisingly long times with low quality loss AND have the advantage of removable media AND that DVD-RAM media is not that expensive when bought in 10-packs AND that the recorder can be had for under US$250.

Have any of you played around with one of these or own one?
DMR-E55P.jpg

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...surfModel=DMR-E55S&surfCategory=DVD Recorders

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe DVD-RAM has recently been EOL'd development wise at 5x speed. But at $250 it's not a bad little device.

Personally for me it's a toss up between spending $500 for a D-VHS deck, or waiting perhaps a couple of years for affordable BluRay recorders. This is for HD archiving.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't DVD-R recorders exist? This media will be getting cheaper and cheaper....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Dear right-wing scum:

My local Circuit City had a DVHS unit on sale for $380 last week. I have a feeling that if you wait until after your early-winter religious festivity, you will find such items in the $300 range.

iGary

Pradeep said:
I believe DVD-RAM has recently been EOL'd development wise at 5x speed.

As long as it isn't AOL'd, I don't mind it if DVD-RAM development has been EOL'd. It's a mature product with a good track record.

But at $250 it's not a bad little device...

If one looks long enough, one of these units can be had for US$229.

sechs said:
Don't DVD-R recorders exist? This media will be getting cheaper and cheaper...

For what I need, DVD-RAM beats the pants off of DVD±R (or DVD±RW). Besides, this Panasonic unit can write a DVD-R if you want such (i.e. -- something permanent, though DVD-RAM is just about as permanent).

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I saw an ad yesterday for a Panasonic unit with a DVD-R recorder and a harddrive. Record to the harddrive and burn-off anything that you want more permanently.

Pricey, no doubt.

.Nut

I saw the Toshiba version of this Panasonic drive (also based on DVD-RAM) this weekend. It costs about US$50 more, but its picture quality is superb due to its DAC -- just like my existing Toshiba "10-bit DAC" DVD Video 2-disc changer.

I like the Toshiba more.

d-kr2_large.jpg

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=D-KR2

CraigLC

What is this storage?
not quite the same but....

I have dish network sattelite TV and it came with a DVR device. Much like heated seats in a car (which came in our newer Audi) I never thought I would use it. I am here to say I use both...OFTEN. Now mine wont record to disc and only works off its RAM but the unit does have an output that may be able to go to a video card which has a coaxial connection. I just havent been motivated enough to play.

I will say its a god send to be able to "tape" programs i want to watch...or set weekly timers and watch multiple recordings without ever having to switch tapes etc. Occassionally there is a glitch or two in the sound or what have you. So far nothing that would make me upset with it. Even for an occassional watcher I think this item is usefull because your TV now revolves around your time frames rather then you around it.