PATA to SATA for new HD's

Adcadet

Storage Freak
so my wifes 75 GXP started making clicking noises tonight. I got everything off of the drive, though it took multiple forced reboots. She needs a new HD anyway (and a whole new computer, but that will wait until Xmas). So....it looks like the Hitachi 7k250 is a pretty nice drive performance-wise (at least according to SR). But it seems to be SATA only. Is it a hassle to use one of the $19 single drive adaptors from Hypermicro? Or should I just a SATA PCI card for her? Or should I just say "screw it" and get a WD120BB or 160BB and stick with good old PATA? Any opinions are welcome.

FYI: the drive will be a boot/OS drive and store all her MP3s and pictures. So basically everything.

Thanks!
Adcadet

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Friends don't let friends buy drives from companies with Retarded Warranty Policies (TM).

I'd suggest a Samsung SP1203N. 3 year warranty. Acceptable in all other aspects.

SATA - PATA sounds like a lot of hassle and a decent chunk of the price of a new drive at $20.

Does your wife actually need a superfast SATA drive for what she does on a PC?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I gave my wife the info, and she decided that the best bang for her buck (price/GB) among the better performing drives was the 200 GB Caviar Special Edition through Hypermicro. And it has a 3 year warranty. Some day we'll go SATA, but not for now I guess.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
oh, and no, she doesn't need a superfast drive, but since it will be her OS drive and Photoshop scratch drive I think the speed will be appreciated.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I would recommend one of the following:

Samsung SP1213N: 120 GB PATA 8MB Cache
Samsung SP1203N: 120 GB PATA 2MB Cache
Samsung SP1614C: 160GB SATA 8MB Cache

All include the complimentary 3-year Samsung warranty as Merc graciously mentioned earlier.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Buck said:
I would recommend one of the following:

Samsung SP1213N: 120 GB PATA 8MB Cache
Samsung SP1203N: 120 GB PATA 2MB Cache
Samsung SP1614C: 160GB SATA 8MB Cache

All include the complimentary 3-year Samsung warranty as Merc graciously mentioned earlier.

Smaller ones are viable option also, if space is not a necessity.

Jan