PCI video cards worth anything on the pc side?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Between the increase in resolution, and the new ability to play DVD's while working, I've been thinking about another monitor. I have an SBS box that I used with my mac, sitting in storage.

Anyone have a decent PCI video card, for DVD stuff, quality only, they would recommend?

Don't want to break the bank...
gs

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Greg,

I keep a PCI video card for backup in case I ever get the inclination to tamper with my main AGP video card's bios and a glitch occurs. If this happens, a person's best chance at recovering is to flash the original bios back into the AGP card, using a backup PCI card to allow viewing of the screen.

The card I picked for this duty is the lowly Jaton Video-158PCI-64TV which has a GeForce4 MX440 chip with 64MB DDR memory. Although I haven't used it for any DVD playback, I can note that it works quite well otherwise. The 2D looked fine to me and it handled some light gaming fairly well too.

The card I have has the RCA Composite and S-Video jacks along with the usual VGA jack.

Some notes from Jaton's site:
  • MPEG video playback support
  • High-Definition Video Processor (HDVP) for full-screen, video playback of HDTV and DVD resolutions
  • Independent hardware color controls for video overlay
  • Hardware color space conversion (YUV 4:2:2 and 4:2:0)

Available for the lawyer-busting price of $53

-Steve